Monday, January 21, 2019

Mystic River and Miss Potter

We drove up the Sandy River on Saturday evening and when I saw the way the mist was settling in the trees and on the water, I turned the car around and went back to try to capture the beauty.


The river was muddy as a result of the recent rains.  We travel up and down the Historic Columbia River Highway that borders this river on a regular basis.  This waterway changes on a daily basis.  Sometimes full and brown with silt, sometimes low and slow and the water is clear.  I really love having this river a big part of my life.  


The water comes from snow melt from Mt. Hood and rain.  The next two photos are from the boat ramp at Dabney State Park.


Winter in it's brown, gray, dark green and cloudy skies glory.


On Saturday I read my favorite blogs and was thrilled to read the story and see the photos by Martha Ellen who visited Hilltop Farm in England. I simply adore Beatrix Potter, the author of the Peter Rabbit series of children's books.  I'd seen the wonderful movie about her called "Miss Potter" so we searched on our movie channels and found it and watched it again that evening.  I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.


The movie chronicles Beatrix's childhood and tells about how she got her stories published.  This is Hilltop farm which she eventually buys and lives out her life in the Lake District in England.



There is a lot of wonderful scenery in the movie, too.


When my grandchildren were small I bought this collection of her books to read to them.


It has every single book in her series.  I've also purchased a small collection of figurines of the characters in her books.


I loved this boxed set, even the box is beautifully illustrated.



The books are small and sweet and published beautifully.


The movie even documents her visits to the printshop with her publisher where she tells the printers just what size she imagines and the colors to use.



I do have a thing for rabbits.  :-)



My favorite one is the mama bunny holding her twin babies.  Have you read any of these tales?



Miss Meeka alway lies with an eye on the back door when our son and/or grandson are gone.  I have to go to her and plead with her to come and lay down by the fire with us.  She likes Dayle as he throws a ball in the house (tsk tsk) for her, but she doesn't much show allegiance to me.  I have no idea why as I'm very kind and sweet to her.  It makes me sad.  And yes, I've given her some treats of chicken when I'm having some.  



The blood moon was last night but when I went out to check to see if I could see it all I saw was a light spot in the clouds.  SO.. this is the best I could do.. take a photo during the evening news.  LOL!



Today we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King here in the USA.  I wish I could say racism was long in the past in this country - but unfortunately we have a long way to go.  But I am with him and do my part to take a stance against intolerance and hatred.  Are you with me?


No swimming for me today as I have to prepare and print up a report to give at the first meeting of the year of the board of directors for the Friends of Multnomah Falls.  Our newly elected president will preside.  It will be interesting to see how the board has changed.

What are you up to today?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

16 comments:

  1. Miss Ford, an amazing woman who taught me in grades one, two, and three, read all the Beatrix Potter books to us numerous times. We never tired of them.

    It was totally overcast here in SK last night so no eclipse for us.

    Although I grew up in a town that had no racial diversity, my parents taught me to be accepting of all races and religions. They taught me and my siblings to embrace difference. Thank you, Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh New Board,hope they are energetic. And reasonable!!
    As for the pup, she does love you. I know she does. How can she not? Keep lovin her like nobodies business.
    Agree with MLK day and YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Beatrix Potter too and my husband bought the boxed set for our grand daughter before she was born. We have the film and I have been to Hilltop and to the Beatrix Potter gallery in Hawkshead nearby. It is a stunning area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, have you ever read Susan Branch's blog? I think you would love it. She only posts once a month or so, but they are long posts with lots of photos and a lot of her artwork. She is also a huge Beatrix Potter fan, and she and her husband took a long trip to England this past summer and spent time at Hilltop Farm. I believe she even has a Beatrix Potter themed guest room in her home. I think you would love her blog, and she also has a newsletter, has written a few books, has her artwork printed on mugs, and puts out a calendar with her sweet artwork every year. The blog is at www.susanbranch.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Beatrix Potter stories and got to explore the Lakes area a little when I was there with my sister about 20 years ago now! Eek! We didn't have time to go to Hilltop farm and I said that I would do that next trip over there. Looks like I'll have to get a move on... xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the complete set of Beatrix Potter books when Stephen was small. Benjamin Bunny was our favorite.

    I love the photos of the river. I always wanted to live on the water and we got our chance the year we were in Jacksonville. We lived about 100 ft. from the St. Johns river. I loved how it looked different depending on the weather. Even though it was very destructive during Hurricane Irma, watching it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes I love those books and have read most of them. Unfortunately I only have a couple how wonderful to have that set. Racism is terrible and a lot goes on here too. Makes me very sad. That pup sure looks like she likes you lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and meant to add how much I loved all of your river pics, simply beautiful xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed every part of this post, Teresa! Thanks so much for creating it. Your BP bunny collection is sweet and I really like the movie and her books as well. I am grateful for parents who modeled interest and appreciation for folks from around the world even though we lived in a little town in Missouri for 15 years. Today I recycled the packing material for a sofa I picked up on Sat. and completed lots of little chores. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved Beatrix Potter and the tales of Peter Rabbit. Mandy reads them often to Piper and she also loves them. I’m sure Meeks does love you. Sometimes dogs just don’t show it much. She’ll come around the longer she’s there.

    I hope the board meeting goes well and the new board has a vision like everyone else did. Love your pictures of the river. I always enjoy driving down the Historic Highway when we visit.

    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were overcast for the blood moon, sadly. I bought the Potter books for my girl when she was small and we both loved reading them together. I haven't seen Miss Potter yet, but when young, was taken to the cinema to see The Tales of Beatrix Potter by the Royal Ballet, which was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your river pictures are gorgeous Teresa - so moody! Those Beatrix Potter books are the best. Thanks for the film recommendation - I had not heard of that.

    Good luck with the Board meeting. hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the movie recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teresa, it was lovely to see your Beatrix Potter collection. The reason I love to travel to the Lake District in England is because of Beatrix Potter! She is so much more than her little books. I love that you appreciate her as well. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see someone else already mentioned Susan Branch's blog which I think you would really enjoy along with Susan's books. Recently, she and her husband hosted a picnic at Beatrix Potter's property in England. I too love Beatrix Potter, her figurines and the movie you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for stopping by!! I will have to look for this movie in our TV listings to see if I can find. I love period movies and this is definitely the Era in Time that i love!! Thanks so much for the suggestion!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)