Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Deco Dishes Discovery

I was innocently reading my Facebook feed when an ad popped up for some dishes being sold in Marketplace... hmm.. *click*... I saw this set of "Fostoria Mayfair Green Plate Set w/ special finish Art Deco Depression Glass".  I kind of fell in love with them.  



 I contacted the seller.. but there was one person ahead of me.  :-(  I was texted by the seller a few days later and the first buyer fell through.  :-)  We went yesterday to see them and they were really nice, well-made, in good shape and we bought them.



I am thinking it might have been a luncheon set?  There are 6 plates, 5 bread plates, 4 soup bowls, 4 saucers, 2 cups, a serving bowl and a compote that is the same design but not the semi-opaque color of the others.  Over the years there must have been some breakage.  I wonder if the original set had 8 of everything?  Or 6?


The base glass is what I might describe as "pea green", then there was another layer of semi-opaque light green around the rim which was obviously fused on in a kiln.. then a black edging was applied.


The bowls are nice and deep and I can just see a salad or soup in them.  I plan to use these for my next "girl's luncheon".. either on the deck this summer or my holiday luncheon.  I might have to make split pea soup.. lol.



I wish I could find 2 more tea cups.. but I've googled this design and cannot find ANYTHING like it on the internet.. so I am wondering if these were a one-off set?  What do YOU think?



The serving bowl is a beauty, too.  


They stack up very nicely, which is a good thing, as now I have to make room in my china cabinet for them.  :-O


Have you ever seen dishes like these?  I think the verdict is in, I love green things.  My little Irish children seem to approve, too.  :-)


  
The owners had these for 5 years and told me they go to about 100 estate sales per year, and they'd only found this one similar piece out of 500 sales.. :-)  This is a compote.  My husband questioned my knowledge about what a compote was so I had to google it and assure him that I know "stuff".  LOL!



Thank heaven's for Facebook as I get to see what my granddaughters are up to in Ohio.  Jenna had two pieces of her artwork in a school art show, this one is fun, I'm so proud that my granddaughters are artistic!  I hope they inherited it from me.  :-)



And here is Jenna with her self-portrait!  Isn't it amazing?  I hope my daughter frames it and hangs it in their home, what a cool thing.


And younger granddaughter Paige (center) performed the National Anthem for the University of Dayton men's basketball game.  They even had the kids on the Jumbo-tron during the game.  I sure do love my granddaughters and grandsons.



That's the news on my end.. what's happening in your world?
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

19 comments:

  1. Those dishes are to die for. I have never seen anything like it. Enjoy them at you luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful set of dishes. You are so lucky even though not complete they are a gem. Grandkids are the best I think they are our reward for having children.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa. I'm not surprised you fell in love with that set it is just beautiful. Your granddaughters are so lovely and your eldest is very talented, I'm sure she has inherited her talent from you. I saw my grandsons at the weekend and granddaughters last night and this evening. I feel blessed. Take care. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dishes are beautiful. No markings on them? I've never seen anything like them. As a retired art teacher, I think you can be very proud of your granddaughter's art work! Nice job! I'm sure she gets it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those dishes are amazing and I think you need to fill the soup bowls with Irish stew on Sunday. Grandchildren are a blessing, that is for sure. I love your granddaughter's art ... very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new dishes are beautiful. I've not seen that pattern before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great score on the dishware! I've not seen such pretty green dishware before.
    Your granddaughters are adorable. Thank heavens for the internet for keeping up to date of family happenings plus we've all become a bit more smart by it, too! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how wonderful those dishes are! They have found a very good home with someone that will cherish them but also use and enjoy them, too. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen those art deco dishes before, Teresa. So unique! Perfect for March. Your granddaughter Jenna is a talented young lady. Her self portrait is really good. And your darling granddaughter singing the National Anthem is really something. What a great honor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I dare say you scored on those dished! They are beautiful. I'll bet it was once a set of eight; wouldn't it be cool if they could talk and tell you their history. Cute grand kids; how many are there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely the pretty green of your tea set. I agree it’s good to catch up with family on the Internet. That self portrait is brilliant. B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness what an amazing set of dishes, they are stunning. A great find. It is so lovely to be able to share news of your Grandaughters, technology is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in a couple of glass lovers pages on FB. If you like, I could post a picture of them to see if they can be identified. The people on those pages are amazing. I myself collect depression glass. No particular pattern, just pieces I love. Green is my favorite glass color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new dishes ae so pretty Teresa! They will be perfect for a Spring luncheon. I hope you can find some more cups. Your granddaughter is quite artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teresa, those dishes are beautiful. I have never seen anything like them. I hope you can find the extra pieces to round out your set, but if not, the ones you have are amazing. I sure wish all of our grandchildren were on Facebook. But alas, we miss out on a lot. What beautiful artwork. Jenna’s artwork is stunning. I’m sure she inherited that from you and congratulations to Paige for her singing abilities. That was a wonderful opportunity for her and her friends. You have a right to be proud of these two young ladies.
    Many blessings my friend, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dishes are beautifully unique and I can imagine you enjoying using them! Also, I enjoyed catching up on some of the news about your talented grand girls. I had my first overnight guests Wednesday night in my new home and was pleased with the way the space worked...comfy for all :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll keep an eye out for those unique art deco dishes. I've never seen them before and I love to garage/estate sale.
    However did you manage with facebook down Wednesday?
    *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those dishes made it to your house just in time for St. Patrick's Day and corned beef and cabbage! Love your granddaughter's artwork and what an honor to be selected to sing the National Anthem... you have talented grands!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your new dishes and oh how those girls are growing up. What talented young ladies they are. I know you are proud!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)