Friday, March 15, 2019

Shawl Progress

The best part of crochet and knitting is the feeling of accomplishment of building with each stitch an item of clothing, creating fabric, actually.  After rows of yellow, it was nice to have the red threads join in and turn it to orange.. also interesting is to see the red threads go from 2, to 3, to 4 as it morphs into reddish pink.  I am a bit disappointed in the way the company did the additions of new thread color.. they're fuzzy and don't look very well done.  I hope they don't come apart!  Live and learn.


I'm also going to be honest and tell you that I've had a heck of a time with the counts of the triple crochet rows - that is where you keep track of the counts and I have had to rip out and re-crochet so many times so far.. but still the counts are off so I have to add one or leave one out on occasion.. sheesh.  But in the end those "fixes" shouldn't show to the casual observer except I'll know they're there.  :-)



It is nice to have the colors change for you and not have to weave in a bunch of ends.  :-)



Yesterday I volunteered at Multnomah Falls with my friend Shirley, I crocheted along as I talked to visitors.  One of my favorite people to talk to was the USFS Sheriff who had hiked the Wahkeena Loop trail to check out how passable it was, he reported that the snow was deep and there was a rock fall and that we shouldn't recommend people make the hike. He is TALL and had all kinds of gear with him, snow shoes, hiking poles, a backpack full of gear, a bullet-proof vest, taser, gun, knife, etc.  He was an imposing figure to say the least.  


This is the Visitors Center past our information counter, I'm proud to work here as a volunteer.


There is a new display about the big fire we had in the Columbia River Gorge a year and a half ago.


Here is how Mocha naps in Dayle's lap.  See her little incision?  She is healing so well.



My little shamrock plant is happy on the table as it gets some nice morning sunshine there.. more little white flowers are coming on.



This is the green variety, but the undersides of the leaves are purple-y-red.  I also have the red variety.



My granddaughter Paige went to a big cheerleader event the other night, she made special bows for her friends and herself with glitter names on each.  She joined the cheer team afterwards which is exciting!  She's the one in the middle.



We're having a sunny week and it's almost 60 deg. F right now at 1:40 pm.  Dayle and I are going to run some errands and I'm going to take my fancy camera to take a photo I've been wanting to get.  I'll show you what I get on Monday.  :-)

Have a wonderful weekend.. do you have any big plans?  
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

19 comments:

  1. I love your shawl! I tried knitting a hat with that variegated yarn and I didn't really like it. I have one more skein so maybe I'll try a shawl... your colors are beautiful! Can't wait to see your Monday photos! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl Teresa! Got to 75 in Philadelphia today! But only forecast to be in the 40's tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shawl is beautiful Teresa. I have yet to make one that changes like that, I really need to do that. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter uses that variegated yarn to knit socks. They always look pretty. Your shawl is going to be great. I'm so happy to hear little Mocha is healing well. You are a good parent to take such good care of her. We had 70's the last couple of days, but winter is not over yet. The temperatures will be more reasonable the next days. Enjoy your weekend. We have no plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Counting can be daunting, but this observer sees no fault in your pretty efforts! I am glad you got to serve at the Falls yesterday and I enjoyed seeing the Grand bow girls :). So glad Mocha is healing well xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the "surprise" photo.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - our fire at the Gorge was terrible. I look forward to this Spring when hopefully we will see some return of new life. I love your shamrock plant - I want to get one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that yarn when we were in Jerusalem a couple of weeks ago and wish I had bought some. Ironically, we don't have it here. Go figure. I have a hard time with row counting and pattern changes. That's why I usually stick with very simple patterns. I'm told I should stretch myself more, but crochet shouldn't be stressful as far as I'm concerned. :) Nice that you get to volunteer at the visitor's center and do some crafting while there. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thrilled to read Mocha is healing well. Love the shawl and the pretty colours, such a bonus not to sewing in lots of ends with the change of colour. What fun to be a volunteer at such a prestigious visitors centre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shawl will be stunning when it's finished won't it. I love self striping yarns

    ReplyDelete
  11. Variegated yarn is fun! The pattern you chose is just perfect for a spring shawl. It is pure winter here today, really miserable, and I might pick up my knitting needles later. One day I'll visit Multnomah Falls and hopefully chat with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No one will know about the counting except you, Teresa. I was imagining what that ranger looked like as you were describing him. He sounds like just the guy to take on that trail in the winter.
    We got up to 47 today! I have never seen so many people walking around our neighborhood. Everyone was so relieved to finally have clear sidewalks. Now if the snow in the yard would just melt ... that should happen next week. We’re supposed to get almost to 50 on Wednesday.
    Mocha is the cutest little thing. I can tell how much you both love her. Have a wonderful weekend Teresa, and enjoy the sunshine.

    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear Mocha is doing well.
    I've always loved visiting the Falls info center. If it wasn't such a drive (we're in Oregon City) I'd like to volunteer there, too.
    Your shawl is coming along very well and so summertime looking with those pretty colors.
    That shamrock plant with the purple/red underside is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ive been catching up on your lovely posts Teresa, Beautiful shawl and love the tea set. The shamrock is so very beautiful ;)xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the close-up photos of the color changes - so pretty. How nice that you can volunteer and crochet at the same time! Mocha looks like the happiest pup on earth in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh your shawl looks hard but so pretty Teresa. How grown up now is your gorgeous Paige...I hardly recognized her! I'm glad your weather has improved our gales have gone now and we have sunshine today.Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the look of the shawl Teresa. Looking forward to the photo- what can it be? :-) Glad Mocha doing well. i had a class yesterday, six ladies and we made cards for men and a little gift. All good fun and afterwards four of us went out for lunch. On my return my son, D.I.L. and granddaughters had popped in. Today ( Sunday ) I just took it easy. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the shawl, the colours are fab. Goodness Paige has got big! Have a good week.CN x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love how the shawl is coming along. The colors are wonderful. I know you gave the information in other posts about your silver crochet hook. I'm in love with it. Could you please give that information again about it. Thanks, Liz

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)