Friday, April 12, 2019

Gushing Falls

My sister Denise and I volunteered in the Visitors Center at Multnomah Falls yesterday.  With all the rain we've been having the falls were ROARING and running at an estimated 7500 gallons per second!  In late summer when it's been dry it dwindles to 75 gallons per second.  Just one of the fun facts I enjoy telling the visitors.


Here is a video I took a few years ago Gushing Falls

With all the moisture in the air the mosses at the falls are happy and lush.



When there is so much water coming over a second falls forms.


And Multnomah Creek was running high.. it's fun to see it like this.



Can you imagine how many years it took for the falls and creek to cut through this rock to the river?  See the neon green lichen across there.. it is always there year after year.



In the middle of the plaza is a rock with a fountain...


Donated and installed by a DAR chapter.


The best part of volunteering to help visitors make the most of their visit to the gorge.. is the wonderful people you meet.  These two recently moved from Oklahoma to Richland, WA and are enjoying getting to know their new home area.  The nice woman gifted each of us with a small "pocket prayer" crocheted piece with a little cross crocheted in.  How nice is that?



Our chickens are in full springtime production of eggs!  We sent my sister home with a dozen.  



We snapped this photo of Mocha as she napped the other day.  So funny.  You can tell she feels secure in her environment.  :-)


Here she is cuddled up on my lap with my arm around her, out like a light.  She is everything we hoped for when we adopted her.  A real sweetheart.


We've been invited to our son's home for fried chicken dinner tonight.  I offered to make chicken gravy for the mashed potatoes.  We're looking forward to it.  Any fun plans for the weekend?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

16 comments:

  1. The falls are beautiful, it sounds like a fun place to volunteer. Mocha certainly does look quite at home with you, so nice that she found a good home where she is loved and cared for. Enjoy your chicken dinner... I haven't had fried chicken in ages. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to visit your lovely falls one day, Teresa! The video is powerful and so beautiful. Well done! Little Mocha is one lucky puppy to have been adopted by you two. Your dinner sounds delicious. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your photos of the falls area - especially all those different greens of the moss and lichen. The number of different greens in nature always astounds me. When I was teaching I used to love giving children a blob of blue paint and a blob of yellow paint and ask them to see how many different greens they could make! Your Mocha is just the sweetest. What do you do with your extra eggs? We are always "scrambling" to give them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want to hop in the car and go visit the Falls again! I enjoyed your interesting observations of the the area and the video is wonderful! The eggs are beautiful; do you want some empty egg cartons? I am so glad Mocha is dear to you already and I hope to meet her one day and give her some love pats myself. On Saturday, Grantie plans to show me an antique store I have not visited before, a nearby friend may stop by to see the condo, and Tim plans to come to share a meal after church on Sunday. I hope you and yours enjoy a happy, delicious dinner tonight! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I treasure you Multnomah Falls photos. I love lichen. Nice of you to make dinner and bring it over! our weekend plans include a short time with zach as we take him to the airport and take his kitty to our home for a few days. Fireman will watch the MASTERS ad nauseum. I will watch baseball and other things. we have the barn on monday , tues and wednesday this coming week so resting up for that! and knit knit knitting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what photos of the falls, thankyou for sharing. All the different greens! Mocha is such a sweet dog, such a contented and relaxed beauty. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh the falls are so pretty and have seen it gushing as well! Won't be doing much this weekend as we were away to Astoria for a night and today we went to the tulip farm. So pretty out there. No rain! Rained in Astoria both days we were there. Oh well..that's life for ya in Oregon! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos of the falls. It’s fun to volunteer in a beautiful place isn’t it. And I agree meeting and chatting to people is the best bit. Isn’t Mocha gorgeous. My cat often lies in the same position waiting for his tummy to be stroked. B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mocha looks so sweet. Smudge used to lie just like that....flat on his back.

    Lovely weekend planned as I am going to the Quilt and Stitch show at the local racecourse tomorrow. Today has been spent making quiche so that I don't have to cook when we get back.

    The falls look so beautiful.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful photos you shared. And, Mocha is a little sweetheart. Enjoy your weekend dear friend. ������

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fall pics and the video wish we were able to visit last year 😀
    Wow all those eggs and lovely Mocha xxoo Fun family time for me this weekend 😀

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, all those eggs! The falls look splendid. CN x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The falls are spectacular and I've decided they are a must see for my bucket list. Love the photo of Mocha, she's certainly settled in well. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to see the Falls with so much water gushing through! Loved seeing all the moss and lichen too. What a wonderful place. Beautiful eggs, and sweet little Mocha! Happy new week dear Teresa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lot of water!!! Those eggs are gorgeous Teresa. how do they compare in size to store-bought eggs...are they smaller or about the same? (I'm wondering how you judge for baking...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Falls looks so gorgeous Teresa. I know you enjoy the view everytime you go volunteer.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)