Monday, April 8, 2019

Spring Bling

As a person who loves to decorate for each and every holiday, you probably won't be surprised to find that I also have collected some personal adornment items for each holiday.  Right?  :-)  Would you like to see what I wear during April near Easter?  OK.. first up is this egg brooch that I made using felt, sequins and beads, then stuffed and sewed a pin/clasp on the back.  


I wore all of these to my DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) meeting today.  



My older sister and fellow DAR member, Roberta, and I went to Continental Congress in Washington DC several years ago. We went early and took a side trip to Nantucket, MA.  That is where I picked up these two little basket charms that I use for earrings. We then went on to visit our aunt Helyn in Annapolis for a few days then on to DC.  

The reason we went to Nantucket is we found we are descended from Tristram Coffin, one of the group of 9 men who bought the island from Thomas Mayhew, a Puritan man who bought it from the Indians that inhabited the island in 1659 - for the price of 30 pounds sterling and 2 beaver hats.


Then a few years ago I saw this Easter egg charm on the Brighton website and fell in love with it.


When you open the clasp and open it up.. there is a darling little chick inside.  :-)


While on Nantucket I looked in several jewelry shops trying to find a pendant of the famous "Nantucket lightship basket" - I didn't find the one I wanted.. or possibly they were too spendy.. so when I got home I decided to look on eBay and found a vintage one for a steal.. this is one of my favorite things.



The lightship baskets were made by sailors who stayed offshore of Nantucket on ships that served like lighthouses.. they were there for weeks and months on end and needed something to keep themselves busy so they started making baskets.  They also started adding an oval whale ivory embellishment on top and doing scrimshaw designs of ships and lighthouses.  My little basket is woven using gold wire and it has a tiny scrimshaw on top, with a tall ship and the Sankaty Head light that my sister and I visited while there.  Keep in mind that scrimshaw is smaller than your little fingernail.



There is a tradition when leaving Nantucket on the ferry, when you pass the Brant Point Lighthouse, you toss a penny overboard, which means you will return.  Which I did.  :-)  Inside my tiny basket is a tiny penny.



In the bottom of this is an engraving... 



Here is a better photo of the engraving that I found on the internet.  Do you have special jewelry for different holiday?  Do share.
My daughter Amy took her daughter and my firstborn grandchild Jenna to a George Strait concert in Atlanta.  They flew there and stayed for several days seeing the sights.  They had a wonderful time!!


Amy too Paige shopping the other day and they went to Starbucks for a drink.. and they used a Snapchat filter for this selfie.. I think they look so cute!!



Lastly my friend Shirley found these Jadeite salt and pepper shakers with little Scotties on them.. they reminded me of Mocha so I asked her to grab them for me.  I think I now officially have a collection of S&Ps!  How many do YOU have?



That's about all on this end.. how is your week beginning?
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

12 comments:

  1. We both had dental appointments today and then home to take our walk. 83 degrees made for a warm one. Afternoon storm bought the temps back about 10 degrees. Hopefully Spring will return before Summer!
    I love your Nantucket lightship basket jewelry, Teresa! Your little egg reminds me of my Faberge like egg pendants that my husband has gifted me over the years. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are kindred spirits,Teresa. I love to decorate for the seasons. Although I don't wear a lot of jewelry except for earrings, I ended up collecting 1/2 eggs similar to your little faux Faberge. I had a local jeweler make them into a bracelet which I wear in the weeks leading up to Easter. I collect salt and peppers but only one specific type: kangaroo mamas (the salt) with a joey in the pouch (pepper). I have found seven different sets in Canada and the US. We've been to Australia twice and I've never found a set there. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, both the "Nantucket lightship basket" and the S&P shakers have my vote!
    Our pup Hamish is a Wheaten colored Scottish Terrier. He is our first light colored Scottie. Our other four Scotties were black or brindle colored. So those S&P shakers would be very dear to me, too.
    BTW: They look brand new, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are on eBay...
      https://www.ebay.com/i/264242090936?chn=ps

      Delete
    2. Yes, Teresa! That's a very fine set of Scottie S&P shakers. I like the single pup on each of them.
      Thank you for the heads up!

      Delete
  4. Stories so well told, and shown, Teresa! Thanks for sharing. My taxes are submitted, and I attended a good meeting today with happy ladies which made a good start for the week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I sure always love seeing your trinkets of all types ♥♥ Here me and Sarah enjoyed our birthdays xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Easter jewellery and the Nantucket light basket is gorgeous. School holidays for us here and all is a bit quiet which is very odd for my kids! Loving it though as I get to crochet more :) xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa,

    My week is beginning as a very busy one. I’ve been trying to get everything done today in anticipation of my sisters arrival tomorrow. She is staying till next Tuesday and I’m so excited. We very rarely ever have time together. Poor Dennis will just sit here listening to us yak!

    I love all of your Easter jewelry. That lighthouse basket is amazing and I really enjoyed reading the story about them. And those salt and pepper shakers are perfect for you and Dayle. I’m glad I was able to contribute last year to your new collection!

    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those little baskets. The detail is so nice. Cute S&P shakers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw your girls at the concert look so pretty! I noticed beautiful Easter eggs at the hospital today . I love your egg hatching a chick Teresa! I have a Christmas necklace from a friend who passed away. I love it. I have a Christmas cat pin. That's about it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little baskets are so sweet. It's great to see them up close with all the details. It's nice to see you beautiful daughter and granddaughter. It sounds like they had a wonderful trip - they look so happy. Those salt and pappers are great. I have a little collection of about 20 sets, and my daughter has started a collection also.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)