Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day 2019

We celebrate Memorial Day today in the USA.  It's a day to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives in military service to our country.  My father served, so did Dayle and his father too.  Had they not returned I would not have been born, nor my younger sister, nor all three of my children, nor Dayle or his two younger sisters.  We always go to visit my dad's grave and clean the bronze marker, but this year I asked my older sister Roberta to clean Dad's marker as Dayle is still recovering from his surgery and wasn't up to it.

We had a quiet weekend, we had one nice day and a day of pouring rain.  On the nice day I snapped a photo of my 4th of July Rose where more blooms are open.


I found this cute little pair of patriotic kids to decorate for patriotic holidays.  She actually has on a tiny paper hat made of a tiny newspaper with a pompom of red, white and blue crepe paper and he's holding a rocket.  Aren't they adorable?


Dayle did ride his mower around the yard a bit on the nice day we had.  Tsk tsk.  I guess you can't keep a good man down.  I watched out for him while feeding the koi in our pond and enjoying the sunny day.


My peonies are still hanging in there.  I love them!


This is Dayle and our 2 grandsons last year, he was teaching them how to clean Dad's grave marker.  I always arrange the flowers in his bronze vase I had installed to his marker.


Grandpa and our beloved grandsons.  


I will take Dayle to his follow-up visit with the surgeon tomorrow and she'll remove the bandages from the incision on his neck.  I hope it doesn't hurt him too much.  Have a super week ahead my friends.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

11 comments:

  1. Your flowers are exquisite, Teresa. The Fourth of July rose is beautiful as well as the lovely peonies. I'm wishing Dayle an easy visit with the surgeon tomorrow. Praying for good days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the photos of the beautiful flowers around you! I gathered with family and friends today out at Lis and Gary's and I asked Gary if he knew from his study of our ancestry whether anyone in our family had died while serving in the armed forces. He thinks there were during the Civil War. When my folks were living in Massachusetts my mom told me that our family would gather at cemeteries to care for the gravesites as you and your family have done, but that has not been a part of my experience as an adult. I am asking the Lord to bless Dayle's healing process. Sending you love and hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rose is beautiful. Best wishes for Dayle tomorrow. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Teresa and very touching ♥♥ Beautiful flowers and wishing the very best for Dayle xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at those clear blue skies for your Memorial Day weekend (well, the one nice day)! Blue skies make everything shine. It is pouring with rain today here in Glasgow. It is good to hear that Dayle feels up to driving his mower, surely a good sign that he is recovering well. Best of luck for the follow up appointment xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all goes well for Dayle and that he is healing well. Loved the rose, such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Teresa. I wasn't online yesterday after you posted an so I'm a little late in commenting. I'm glad you had a good day and that Roberta was able to take over the cleaning of the headstone. I know how important that is to you and to Dayle too. Mandy sent photos of her and Piper at the cemetery with Dennis' Mom. I'm very glad that she thought about taking Grandma to visit the gravesites. Although they aren't military graves, she sent photos of my parents, Dennis' Dad's and sisters and all of the grandparents gravesites. Mandy had bought flowers for all of them...and it was a lot. Virtually all of our family is buried there with the exception of my grandparents who are on the Kansas/Nebraska border at the Stateline cemetery.
    Well, you probably weren't even interested in that. I'm babbling this morning!
    I like your little figurines and I'm praying for a good visit for Dayle today.
    Much love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers Teresa. I've been thinking of Dayle - glad he can get the bandages off tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Teresa hope all goes well for Dayle. Lovely photo of Dayle and your grandsons. Take care Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what it feels like to have to lay around and not be able to do much after surgery. But take it nice and easy. I speak from experience. (smile)

    Teresa, I know Dayle wants to get back to 'normal' but, it's a good thing you're hanging close by just in case. BTW: The peonies are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Teresa, Many military family members in my family too. My Dad & FIL where both WWII Vets, my husband is retired military, Uncles etc. . Dayle has been in my thoughts and prayers too. Have you found out which type of thyroid cancer Dayle has? Both my dear brother & I had papillary thyroid cancer. Have they talk to you both about radioactive iodine therapy yet? My brother had his done last year in home, mine was done at military hospital where I stayed 3 days. My kids where young at the time so they wanted to make sure they where not expose to anything. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)