Monday, June 10, 2019

Mock Orange and Roses

We moved into this old farmhouse in January 35 years ago in 1984.  All the trees and bushes were leafless.  I will never forget when Spring arrived and everything began to leaf out and flower.  It was simply amazing!  Then I set out to identify our floral bounty.  This I found was a Mock Orange.  It grows to the right of our garden shed.  It is very pretty and smells wonderful.  Our son Travis, DIL Kristi and grandsons Hayden and Caleb come to visit yesterday.  Hayden amazed me when he decided on his own to cut out some blackberry vines that were growing up in the shrub.  He even took these two photos for me.  I lavished praise upon him for helping us out.  :-)


Here is the pile of blackberry vines he cut out!  These are Himalayan blackberries and are considered an invasive species here and are horrible to try to eradicate.  


We have a local Facebook page called "Corbett Unstuff" - I noticed a reproduction antique style metal sign with a small price on it and messaged the seller.  She dropped it off to me yesterday afternoon.  Now to figure out where to hang it.  LOL!


Dayle cut me a branch of Mock Orange and several roses from our garden for a bouquet.  I placed them in a purple glass pitcher.



I inherited my friend Sally's Eastlake style Etagere and for now we just put it in front of the door into the living room as to be honest I wasn't sure where to put it.  I know it needs to find a better place but for now I'm enjoying looking at it and playing with things to put on it.  I stuck my collection of Hen on Nest dishes on it but I don't like them there.  What DO you put on something like this?  HELP!  I need ideas.  It has pretty legs and another shelf on the bottom.



This bouquet is extremely pretty and fragrant.. each time I pass I give it a sniff.. :-)


A close up of the Mock Orange.. 



The kids brought their dog Ozzie and you should have seen the whirling dervishes of Mocha and Meeka playing with their "cousin".  Mocha had become obsessed with this little pink ball we got her.. here she is after the kids left, passed out with the ball still in her mouth.


This ball is so small that it is constantly rolling under furniture and then she barks until Dayle fetches it for her.. and one minute later it's "lost" again and she starts barking for him to get it.  It got so bad last night that we had to take it away from her and put her in her crate so we could watch a TV show!  We're afraid to give it back.  Silly thing.


I told you of her habit of jumping onto the back of my chair.. now this is her new thing.. she sits up like a Meercat to keep an eye on things going on outside.  Goofy dog.



Speaking of TV shows.. Dayle and I are hooked on a series called "Longmire" on Netflix.  It's so good!  There are 6 seasons and no more.  Dang.  It's a modern day cowboy show with a lot of Native American influences.  

Well.. off to swim soon.. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

11 comments:

  1. I've seen cats sit up like that but not a dog. So funny! I can just imagine how you felt the first time you saw your yard come into full bloom. Everything is so gorgeous and that purple pitcher of flowers is just so pretty. The cupboard you inherited is also quite lovely. I think you'll just have to keep playing with arrangements and vignettes until you find something that works. I don't see anything wrong with the hens except that they might look nicer grouped together right there in the middle without that big, beautiful flower arrangement. :) Mocha and her little ball are super sweet. Take care, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Hayden! What a lovely thing to do for you, unasked. I'm sure he's aware that Dayle hasn't been feeling well and wanted to help.
    Your Mock Orange sounds like it smells wonderful. The bouquet of it and the roses is gorgeous. How sweet of Dayle to pick it for you.
    Mocha! What a funny dog. I love the "meercat" photo! The ball is a story unto itself isn't it? We had a cat once who did the same things. Would roll the ball under the sofa and then yell at us to get it for him.
    I hope swimming was good. You are so dedicated to it. Well done!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Miss Mocha needs her own window perch. A place she can observe the goings on that are happening outside. In My husbands study we have a stair step up to an old end table I covered over with a soft dog bed. Our Hamish climbs up the steps and rests in the dog bed then peers outside to keep the neighborhood safe from whatever shouldn't be there, i.e. strange animals, racing bicycles and the like. Hamish loves it and it gives him a job while being close to Michael.
    Mock Orange is one of my favorite fragrance's along with roses, lavender, jasmine, rosemary, etc. I could go on. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to see Mocha enjoying her life! Last night around 7pm I gathered with some ladies nearby and we sat in lawn chairs visiting, along with one lady's cute Pug dog, named Gracie :) Knowing she might be there I brought some dog treats for her wanting us to be on good terms since we share our name. I also stopped to smell the roses on various rose bushes as I walked home and was rewarded with their lovely scent that helps me imagine the rose part of the scent of your pretty bouquet. I think Hayden is a real hero for voluntarily cutting the blackberry vines that can wound you as I remember from my encounters with them. Happy decorating, [no suggestions] and I hope you had a good swim! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mocha is hilarious 🤣🤣 So love those flowers and boy blackberries can be nasty plants. How lovely of Hayden xoxoxo 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Hayden for wanting to help out, I bet you miss them now they have moved out. A beautiful bouquet, such pretty flowers and I can imagine the gorgeous fragrance. Your little pooch makes me smile, the meercat photo is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful farm you've made it, such an impressive place, love the look of the barns too and all those wonderful flowers!!!! Bliss!!
    That sign looks like something you'd find in a Cornish village in England it has the Cornishware bowl design...how wonderful!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mocha is so sweet and such a little character. Your mock orange and roses are beautiful, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pooches sure are entertaining! We watched Longmire last year and we loved it... great show! Now we are watching "Suits" on Amazon Prime... another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Longmire and I also love Justified, if you haven't watched it. Love that your grandson wanted to help out. I have an Eastlake dresser, with a pink marble top, that sits in our foyer. I love that style! Love your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mocha is so funny- you must get hours of fun and entertainment.
    It is hard to say what I would put on the piece of furniture- it is lovely. I would try different ideas. Flowers in something pretty would definitely feature and probably some delicate pretty pieces - but I would need to 'play' I'm sure you will finally choose just the right things! Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)