Friday, July 12, 2019

Volunteering Rocks

I spent the afternoon volunteering at Multnomah Falls with my best friend from 7th grade - Shirley.  We greeted people visiting from around the country and the globe.  They all wanted advice on what to see, which way to go, and.. where the restroom was.  :-) Thataway.. ← This is the lodge and if you look on the bottom left you see an open door, that is the Visitors Center.


As you can see, the falls are skimpy this time of year.  But one very cool thing is it is fed by a spring so it never dries up.  In the winter and spring it roars with rain and snow-melt waters.



I can't tell you how many people came into the VC and asked us how to find the falls.  Umm.  It's right out there, just walk up that way, pointing right.  Don't people look up when they get there?  It's hard to miss.  :-)



Look what visited us the other day?  This is a photo I found on the internet, not mine, it's a Western Tanager.  Kristi saw it and told us about it, she says she sees them every year.


A fun meme I saw on Facebook.  :-)  I think my skills at buying yarn definitely exceed my talent at using it.  




The sunny skies are back.  I foresee some time on the deck watching the koi swim in the pond this weekend.  Our son Travis and wife Kristi are coming over this evening and she is bringing the things to make lasagna.  Our son is going to be tidying up the boat for a fishing trip on Sunday.  Dayle is going too. They are going off-shore into the Pacific Ocean in hopes of catching Coho Salmon.  More on that on my Monday post.

Have a super weekend!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

14 comments:

  1. That Western Tanager is gorgeous, Teresa! What a great photo of a beauty. I had to laugh at your comment about folks asking where the falls were! We hope one day to visit them and I promise I'll look up! Have a relaxing weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret and I LOL about your VC frequent question! We went to Wildwood recreation park today with Grantie, Lis and Gary for a picnic and a short walk to view the fish window...it would be wonderful to see the beautiful bird you featured. I hope Dayle and Travis have a successful fishing trip! My son David and his boys are headed out to fish in hopes of having a BBQ afterwards πŸ˜ƒπŸŸπŸ πŸ‘. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bird, very striking colours. It's interesting your comments about 'seeing' the falls. For anyone who's ever worked in a shop, these sorts of questions would be frequent... as assistant points right in front of them lol. Thanks for sharing your news. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such striking colours of the delightful bird and a joy to see the falls. Like the others I did smile at your comment about looking up...lol! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I just bought a boat load of yarn I needed to see this! The Falls are beautiful no matter the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought another bird identification book - now I'm waiting patiently for something I don't recognize so I can look it up! Volunteers do rock! I just took my Mom and her sister to the Saratoga Battlefield National Park and we spoke at length to a wonderful volunteer. He is a high school history teacher who is off for the summer and a lover of the Revolutionary War. I learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make volunteering at the Falls sound so fun!!!!! Hope Dayle has a great time

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed out loud about your visitor questions. As a fairly frequent visitor to the Falls, I would think most of those answers would be self evident. The signage is good for the restrooms and how in the world could you miss the falls as you drive/walk up?
    Lasagna is Dennis' favorite dish, he wants to know if we can come to dinner? :-) . How fun for Dayle and the other guys to get to go ocean fishing. I wish them luck and look forward to reading about the adventure.
    Oh, and my buying definitely outweighs my knitting/crochet use. Although I DO go through a LOT of yarn.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about people missing the waterfalls (look up, lol) made me think of a place in Japan south of Hiroshima that has a scenic waterfall. A fellow teacher took me there the day after I arrived in the country (can we say jetlagged). The American's called it the 'chicken shack' because they did chicken, but it had various outdoor tables to sit and have your dinner and watch the waterfall. All I could think of (remember jetlagged) was...couldn't they turn the sound/volume down on the waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that bird and those falls....one day I may see myself xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can imagine you love your volunteering at The Falls. It’s so good to meet different people and chat. I love buying yarn but I am trying to be good to use up my stash as I go. Like you I love making blankets :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never tire of seeing your photos of the falls and the lodge is beautiful. We don't have buildings like that around here. I also understand about the restroom question, it's usually the first thing I look for when we go anywhere..LOL! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen big waterfalls (just the Kansas kind lol) but that one definitely does not look skimpy to me, but I believe you when you say it roars to life during the other seasons. That would be fantastic to see! Have a blessed week, Teresa! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lodge looks so lovely and I still dream of visiting! Hope you enjoyed the Lasagne! One of my favourites! Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)