Friday, August 23, 2019

Steam Train Adventure

Hello my friends.  I missed my Wednesday post as we were on an adventure with our 2 grandsons.  We headed to Tillamook on Tuesday and headed north Hwy 101 to Garibaldi where we had a room booked for the night.  The photo below was the steam engine that we'd be riding behind the next day


We had dinner before checking in.  Hayden gave a thumbs up on the clam chowder.


I had a bacon, mushroom Tillamook cheeseburger!  :-)


Mocha enjoyed spending time with the boys.


All checked in and Dayle and the boys headed to the pool while I relaxed and read  the 2nd in a 3 part series that Lorraine from MamasMercantile blog recommended.  They are The Blackhouse, The Harris Man and The Chess Men by Peter May.  They're good!  I need to download the third one as I finished the 2nd last night.


We got up the next morning and the boys filled up at the free breakfast buffet, then we packed up and loaded the car and drove the short distance to the train where we waited for it to arrive so we could board.  As you can see the weather wasn't the best and it was raining but we still had fun.  My blog friend Wendy from Australia should enjoy this post, she LOVES trains!


Here we are all set to go.


A whole group of ladies from a senior center were on the trip, they all loved seeing Mocha on Dayle's lap.  She was a perfect passenger on the trip. 


We met the nice conductor, he was ex-Army and ex-Engineer too and he and Dayle had a nice conversation.  


He sure did a great job on the trip.


I couldn't get any photos of the views through the windows as they were covered with raindrops, but I was able to get this image through a slightly open window.  :-)  That is Tillamook Bay.


This is the caboose, the train cars were all painted this pretty royal blue.


The train took us from Garibaldi to Rockaway Beach and back.  We saw some great scenery, rain or not.  There was a big pond filled with a thousand lily pads and the pink lilies were in full bloom.  I so wish I could have gotten a photo of them.


We also passed by these amazing rock formations, the biggest one had this tunnel through the bottom, it doesn't show in this photo that we went back to capture after we disembarked from the train.


Our next stop was the remodeled Tillamook Cheese Factory.  I grabbed these next two photos from the internet.  


Dayle took the boys in while I stayed with Mocha in the car and caught up on my Words-With-Friends game.  :-)  The place was PACKED with visitors and the lines for ice cream were so long that they bought some cheese curds and fudge and headed back to the car.  We'll have to take them again when it's not high season there.


The did go up to the viewing windows to see the cheese being made, cut and wrapped on long conveyor belts.  A pretty amazing place.


The factory store had cheeses of all sorts.


Of course the obligatory photo of the boys in the Tillamook VW bus!


We then headed north again and stopped for dinner at the Wayfarer restaurant just south of Cannon Beach.  I had their delicious halibut and chips.  Yum.


This is the view from the restaurant, the famous Haystack Rock.


We're back home and it's a very busy day today with activity.  So, I have to get to it.  Thanks for stopping by!!

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

14 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! Taking a train trip is on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had such fun - rainy weather or not. Those boys will have a wealth oh memories with you and Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, the steam engine train looks wonderful! The inside looks quite special. Our eldest grandson loves trains and we took him on many when he was younger. I'm sure your grands had a wonderful adventure with their grandparents. The cheese factory looks interesting. What lovely scenery you passed on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the boys had a great time. How long was the train ride? I'd love to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain or no rain now I want to go on that train ride! I'm glad you all had a good time and I really enjoyed your photos and narrative. When we went to the cheese factory a few weeks ago while camping it was busy, too, but I enjoyed seeing the updated building and my youngest daughter let me have a taste of her yummy ice cream. Thanks for posting! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good but busy day out.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet you all had an amazing time. I love old train journeys too. Such beautiful beach scenes. Love the photo of the boys in the pool. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a nice, quick trip despite the rain. Good thing you were in a covered car. Took the Narrow Gauge Railroad with my boys from Durango to Silverton and made the mistake of being in an open air gondola right behind the coal-powered engine which was no fun at all. We were covered in black bits by the end of of the ride. Met a young guy here recently at a wedding we attended. He lives in Portland and loves it. One day I will make it to Oregon for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness it looks like you all had a wonderful time. I didn't know there was a train there. We'll have to check into that next time we're at the coast.
    We found the same thing at the cheese factory. We thought about ice cream but the lines were crazy. I'm so glad you get to spend so much time with your boys. Memories are being made.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Teresa and YES I loved this post and that steam train TOOT TOOT lol
    Those boys have grown so much ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun trip! I remember spending days away with my grandparents - best memories ever. I am sure your grandsons will remember these trips for the rest of their lives. The Peter May books are good. I thought the author describes the Western Isles rather well. I have never been on Lewis but visited another of the Hebridean islands, Islay. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you all had a wonderful time. We have a steam train called The Mary Valley Rattler near us that I've been meaning to take the kids on for years. Your post has inspired me to get off my butt and take them. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic adventure with your grandsons Teresa. I am sure everyone was thrilled with the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The train ride looks like fun, even in the rain! I think my brother had a friend take him to ride that train. He's a train buff for sure! We went to a car show Sat. in Canby and so many cool old cars were amazing to see. Made some cookies this afternoon with pumpkin in them. Saved a portion to bake next week for a pumpkin cook off on Thurs. Will see what happens. Enjoy your week, my friend! Take care and thanks for sharing your photos with us! xx/--\xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)