Monday, September 23, 2019

Birthday Lunch and Technology Upgrade

Yesterday was a birthday lunch for my friend Shirley and sister Denise.  We met at a fun place called Beaches.  We got the very best table in a window corner with a view of the Columbia River.  We were treated like royalty and the birthday girls were given purple sparkly crowns!!


I gave them each a ZZ plant.  The Zamioculcas zamiifolia is a tropical perennial plant native to eastern Africa, from Kenya south to northeastern South Africa. I also got a cache pot for each with copper fall leaves and acorns on them.

They ordered a healthy meal of roasted chicken and cauliflower, I had a mini personal pizza.  We chatted away during lunch and I tested out my new iPhone camera.. here is a sailboat in the middle of the river.. it was raining and I was shooting through a tinted window with raindrops running down the window and about a quarter mile away.



Beaches is in Vancouver, Washington across the river from Portland, Oregon and not far from PDX, Portland International Airport.  So while we dined and chatted we watched a succession of airliners pass by.


Two barges sailed by being pushed by tugboats... see the sailboat behind it?  That's the one I zoomed in on above.



The lovely and friendly waitress presented Denise and Shirley with a fresh bag of caramel corn they make themselves.  Denise told the waitress about the wonderful dessert she had not long ago which was vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce with caramel corn on top.. and the waitress surprised her with this!  She shared some bites with us and sure enough, it was DELISH!


Shirley and I had the Key Lime Pie... oh yum.



After a wonderful celebration and lots of chatting and fun, we headed out, this sweet hostess opened the door for me and I said.. wait.. I have to take a photo for my blog.. LOL!


I'm looking forward to going back.  By the way.. that is a huge oversized Adirondack chair by the door.. I can imagine many people have their photos taken in this.


Denise sent me a photo of where she put her ZZ plant, in her kitchen window, it should be happy there.


The seasonal display at the nursery where we bought the plants was amazing!



I was most attracted by this fuzzy pink flowered plant but did not check its name.. anyone?



I've updated to the new iPhone 11 Pro Max - my 2 year old phone's battery was wearing out.. and to be honest.. I wanted this one as the camera is supposed to be quite an upgrade.  I found this bling-y case on Amazon for cheap.  



The saleswoman was very good and told us how important it would be for our health to invest in 2 Apple watches.. :-)  You can even give yourself an EKG on it, which I have done and it told me it was normal and I had an excellent heart rate.  It also tells you occasionally to BREATH.. and to get up and walk for a minute.. and if you fall down (I've heard) it tells you to get up and if you don't it asks if you want it to call 911!


It's neat because you have dozens of different watch faces to choose from.  And most importantly, you don't have to have your phone nearby and can make calls from your watch.. Siri will also make the call for you, too.  And of course I got a beaded watch band for it.. again.. very inexpensive.



I walked into the den this morning and look who was making herself comfortable in my easy chair?  Why, it's miss Mocha!  ::snap::



It's a swim day.  What are your plans for the day?
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

17 comments:

  1. It looks like you all had a fantastic time for the girl's birthday lunch and those desserts are making my mouth water! The apple watches that you can make phone calls from always remind me of the show Get Smart that I watched growing up. No shoe phone though! Enjoy your swim. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You girls had a great birthday lunch! And your new phone takes great photos! I have a smart watch my daughter gave me and it really encourages me to walk more. Your watch is a lot snazzier than mine. I like the moon photo that I'm sure you photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Denise and Shirley!! It was fun to see some of your "royal" celebration :-) Thanks for another beautiful, post, Teresa. Your new technology seems to be cooperating with good results. I went to a couple of meetings today, and the grocery store. Hope you had a good swim. Love pats to Mocha <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO you got a new iPhone 11 and a iPhone watch!!!! WOW. You live right lady!!!!! I love Mocha. I love the carmel corn stories! Im so glad my teeth are not good with sticky things like that, otherwise I'd be chomping on all the carmel corn Ive seen at the fair and at the farmers market and the airport etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely fun post Teresa. I enjoyed seeing Denise and Shirley's birthday fun. That restaurant looks like a wonderful place to celebrate. That ice cream!!!! Oh my! Beautiful plants too. I visited a garden here in Omaha today with my sister that you would love. I'm sure it's online if you want to check it out. Lauritzen Gardens. Absolutely stunning. I took some photos, but none are as clear as your new iPhone photos. Maybe I should check out the apple watch instead of my fitbit. It would come in handy with my tachycardia! :-)
    Thanks for sharing your fun day with us all.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to Beaches restaurant a few years ago with my sister and my bff for bday lunch in Feb. Would be fun to go there again. I enjoy being by the Columbia river too. Never know what I'll see. Enjoy your new iphone and watch. Worked today then came home and made dinner as Phil worked late. Dishes done soon after a rest off my legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun meal out, the plants were a delight and so generous to be given the corn. Loved the chair another fun element. Impressive watch Gerard has one much the same that does all sort of wonderful things, loved the fancy strap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohh such lovely birthday celebrations with your sister and friend.
    Such a lovely welcome header on your blog with the beautiful dinning area and sunflowers on the table...looks so inviting and beautiful! ;)
    Look at those Autumnal colours too! I love 'fall' as they say overseas! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The birthday lunch looks like fun, I love the crowns! I bet you were missing your sister, sad and happy days I am sure. Love the Fall displays and your super cool watch. I have been told how wonderful they are yet I still have my $25 Timex on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty sure your fuzzy pink plant is Celosia. https://gardenerspath.com/plants/annuals/celosia/

    Have fun at the pool. I think I may just hit the gym this morning while Steve takes his Dad to the doctor. Or ... I may just take advantage of the beautiful day and walk outside.

    Please give little Mocha a good head rub from her east coast friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of the ZZ plants - they are pretty (and I like the pots you got for them). The Birthday Crowns are fun! No I-Phone or Watch for me (don't want someone/thing telling me to stand up or run around or anything - lol).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Teresa.Lovely photos. You are very up to date with your technology. That phone takes fab photos! Love the Autumn colours. Glad you had a great time celebrating, sounded yummy. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have never heard of those plants. Such lovely photos on this post and the one below. The birthday lunch sounds like fun. I am enjoying seeing your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are much more tech savvy than I am. I don't like upgrading anything and also don't sync my devices. My husband told me the other day that he ordered me an iPhone 8 and I told him I really wasn't interested in getting rid of my current phone until absolutely necessary. It certainly looks though like your new one has a great camera included. You all seemed to have the hostess with the mostest at Beaches. Looks like a great place to celebrate. I have a couple of ZZ plants though they are not thriving like the one my husband has at his office. A couple of my craft group friends do fitness challenges on their apple watches. I have a laptop and an iPhone 6 and that's more than enough for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely lunch Teresa and your plant pressies are so thoughtful. Enjoy your new phone and watch.Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely birthday lunch...it all looks delicious and I love the crowns and the corn treats! The plants and pots you bought look pretty. Your new phone and watch....wow! Have a wonderful autumn week dear Teresa. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous time you all had and the food sounded yummo. Happy bday girls. Love the plants too. Here blog catchup time. 😁😁

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)