Wednesday, October 2, 2019

New Snow, Fall Farm and Trade Beads

Mt. Hood has been looking naked for a few months as the snow melted in late summer.. so when I saw that it was white again with the first snow I decided I needed a photo.  Dayle and I ran some errands yesterday, had an early dinner and then drove up to Jonsrud Point to get a photo.. thanks to heavy traffic and a few excruciatingly slow traffic lights we got there just after the sun tipped over the horizon and missed the pink alpenglow.  But here is what I captured.


I walked the dog yesterday and snapped a few photos of the farm garden, it has turned cool but the sun is lovely.


There are fewer cars parked here now.. :-)


Seeing the Papyrus and bamboo so happy is bittersweet.. I know it will be too cold for them soon.


If you've never grown Papyrus, you should get a pot of it, it's so pretty.  I have 3 varieties/sizes, King Tut, Prince Tut and Baby Tut.  :-)  That is the small version you see behind this fluffy head of the biggest one.


The last bloom on the Calla Lily.  It will soon shrivel up but this came back from last year so I can hope it will again next Summer.


I'm loving the lime green in this Coleus.. I am going to try to winter this over, too.


After I shared with you the Chief Lalooska long house I remembered that I bought a pendant made by his sister, Patty Fawn, so I brought it out to show you.  It's a bone carved in the shape of a canoe paddle with designs she made and a bit of abalone shell.  I believe the carving depicts an orca.


And a closer look at the Russian Blue beads I wore to visit the long house.  These are very old Indian trade beads from the Northwest strung on braided leather.  I found these in an antique shop in Sellwood, Oregon.

Russian explorers traded blue beads to the Native Americans in Alaska and Canada starting in the 1700s. Their appeal lies in their Cobalt Blue color and their faceted appearance. Blue Russian Beads likely originated in Czechoslovakia. Russian traders may have purchased them directly from traders in Europe, or possibly from the Hudson Bay Company.


When I bought the beads above, there was also a very long strand of Russian Blues, so I called my friend Sally and asked if she wanted half of them and she said yes.  I strung this necklace myself with some special long Russian Blues and 4 white Russians and the old coin I got at a bead show.  They were found in a trunk in an old miner's cabin in the gold rush area of California.

The California Gold Rush began on January 24, 1848, when gold was found by James W. Marshall at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California. The news of gold brought approximately 300,000 people to California from the rest of the United States and abroad.


With the white beads found in the trunk was this 1861 silver dime which was drilled likely by Indians who liked to wear the coins as jewelry.  You can tell these beads were well-loved and worn a LOT as they started their life in Czechoslovakia and were shiny and sharp edged.

 
I also traded my web design skills to some Indian goods traders for these beads that were actually purchased from a museum who were selling some of their collection off.  You can see how different the old trade beads were.. you can see several different colors of Russian blues in this strand - clear, milky white, black and blue.  The carved canoe paddle was given to me at an event at Multnomah Falls by a local Indian woman at which point I gave her some Russian blues for her to make some earrings.. she had no authentic trade beads until I gave them to her.   


Another mixed strand of trade beads I strung, the yellow ones are called "Greasy yellows".  Did you know that Lewis & Clark brought 33 lbs. of small trade beads and use them to barter for food from the Indians along the trail to the Pacific Ocean?  I like to think even a few of mine were with those early trailblazers.

Trade Bead History


I have lots more trade beads but these are the ones with Russian Blues on them.  :-)


I also found another pretty color of the cotton thread and plan to make more pouches.  


I made an emoticon for Dayle and learned there were more options so I went back and edited mine and added glasses and earrings.  Here are the both of them.  :-)

I am swimming today.. and tomorrow is the first meeting of the Portland Women's Forum for the year - Oct to June.  It will be good to see everyone but I will miss seeing my sister Roberta there.  

I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the history of trade beads. It's so fascinating to learn more about an intersting subject.
    Cobalt blue is my favorite color to use in the garden. All of my pots and our gazing ball are cobalt blue. They're really striking against the green of the plants and in winter in the snow. So pretty.
    Love the emoji's or Dayle and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspiring me to try more plants next spring and summer. I think we can over winter some in our basement. We have good light down there from windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color on those beads. Just GORGEOUS! I can see why they are so well liked. Turning cooler here on Friday. Up to 96 degrees today. It's been in the mid 90's all week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking so pretty and you're right, not many cars compared to last time we were at the farm. I think winter is going to be early this year. The snow is hanging around on Mt. Spokane too but thankfully has melted here at the house. We haev beautiful blue skies today and I'm enjoying that.
    The history of the beads was really interesting and I absolutely love the emoticons for you and Dayle. They are amazingly accurate.
    I hope you have a wonderful evening my dear friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, your bead collection is quite impressive! The colors are extraordinary! I really like seeing how you fashion your jewelry. Very artistic. Thank you for the awesome picture of Mt. Hood, I love it. It's also nice seeing your selections of interesting plants. Cute emojis of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I recognized you and Dayle right away!! Well done, my dear artist friend, as is this interesting post! The beads are so beautiful and I really appreciate your view of Mt. Hood. I have been racing around so much the last few days I missed seeing the fresh snow on Mt. Hood, but I did manage to enjoy the sunshine out on the patio for a bit on Monday and Tuesday. ((hugs)) as you feel the change in seasons of weather and of your life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My second history lesson today as I visit blogs. Really interesting information about the beads. I love those blue ones but all the colors are truly amazing. You've got such a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous beads and although I knew the early settlers traded beads with the Native Americans, I'd never seen any. The emoticons made me smile. They look just like you and Dayle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mt Hood looks beautiful in it's snow cap. We're apparently gearing up for a heatwave here in the coming days. Your beads are beautiful and the history of them fascinating, thank you for sharing. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting post... thanks for sharing all that good history!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw Teresa , Im so sorry you are of course missing your sister. I loved you and your hubby in comic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mt. Hood looks gorgeous. Your beads and their history is quite interesting. Thanks for writing about them. I am sorry you are missing your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs Teresa and big hello been awol from blog checking lol Always love your garden and interesting jewellery xoxo Cute pics you made for you and Dayle 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Teresa. The beads are beautiful and loved the history lesson, thank you. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to hear the stories behind your collections. Those beads are amazing. You are Dayle are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got a pot of papyrus three years ago but it didn't survive the winter. Still in the pot, I placed it in my protected over-wintering spot. Any tips? It was very beautiful on my patio.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)