Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Keeping an Old Tradition in a Modern World

Hello dear readers, how is your week going?  I spent many happy hours yesterday working on my cards.  First  I finished writing our annual news update to include in the cards.  I actually scroll through my photo file for the whole year and pick out some images that tell our story.  Then I write the newsletter.  I then cleaned my fountain pens and filled them with green and red ink.  I really love handwriting!  I can still remember sitting at my school desk as a young child and learning cursive writing.  I was an artist from the age of 5 so I loved learning to write pretty.  


I have made my own cards for years and YEARS but Dayle was shopping at Costco and saw 2 big boxes of sparkly pretty cards so I'm using them this year.  


I have also eschewed printed labels for handwritten addresses.  I used to hand write the return addresses but have finally decided to use pre-printed ones that I get from DAR in return for my annual donation.  I also have kept my old leather day planner with all my family and friends addresses inside.. I flip through the alphabet and fill out the envelopes.  The bad part is when people move or pass away, I have pages of addresses with scratched out lines until I finally have to fill out a whole new page.. then someone moves again.. LOL!


The cards came in 4 designs, 10 each to the box with matching envelopes.  Here are a few more of the designs.






So many friends and family have given up on sending or giving cards.  My question to you - do you still send them?  Do you jot a little personal note inside?  I send to several blog friends.  I even get one card each year from Julie in France!  I love it!

*************************************
 *H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*
*************************************

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE getting your cards with your beautiful signature inside. I will miss your custom designed card this year but I do always love to receive any cards at all. I hang each card we recieve over the patio doors on twine and clip them on with mini clothespins.
    You already know that I send cards, about 110 were sent this year. The past few years I have debated sending them but then I always decide to do it.
    Have a lovely afternoon Teresa. I'm off to the nursing home and knitting.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Teresa. I love making,writing and sending my cards.All part of Christmas for me. If I had your address I would love to send you a card. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post encourages me not to give up sending Christmas cards, but the last few years have really challenged my resolve to do so. Last year my cards were sent to share my greetings, news, and new address. I once saw a dear friend's address book and my address was the only one on the page that was written in pencil because I moved so often! ((hugs)), Gracie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do still send cards and a Christmas letter too. I used to send to everyone, about 50-60 cards a year, but I have seriously scaled down our list because fifty cents to send a card just isn't in our budget anymore. I only send to those people who live far away and I hand deliver to local people and family. I love your idea of adding photos to your letter. Like you, I love handwriting and couldn't wait to be in Mrs. Burke's third grade so I could learn cursive. I also taught cursive writing for three years at our local elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still send just a few years cards even to you lol Goodness knows if you received as long journey 😁😁 Lovely post Teresa and cards xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan of beautiful writing, as you know. I so enjoy the act of writing and looking at other people's lovely handwriting. I just wish I had a little more time for it at the moment. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful traditions, so love Christmas time...Just been catching up from your Thanksgiving post, Christmas and writing cards...such a beautiful table setting, amazingly big sparkly tree and those wonderful christmas card scenes, My most fav mag is the British Country Living Magazine!!!!...I still have ones from when My mum used to get it twenty odd years ago!...
    feels really festive and so pretty at your Christmas Home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still loving your Tartan tablecloth. I do send cards!! (Will you e-mail me your address?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a Christmas newsletter to send out with your cards. I haven't sent any cards yet and I'm not sure if I will this year which is very slack of me. The cards Dayle bought are really lovely. I do love traditional Christmas cards. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tradition of hand written Christmas cards, Teresa. Your handwriting is lovely. Mine has deteriorated over the years, which makes the handwriting not looking up to par. I'm getting out our cards soon. I usually buy them at half off sales after Christmas and send the out the following year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty these are! And yes, I love to write Christmas cards and add a little note. And it sure is fun to receive them! You have such beautiful decorations on your table! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still send cards, though usually photo cards at this point. We still teach cursive at my primary school....although it isn't "technically" on our curriculum. Shhhh.....lol So glad you linked up and I hope to see you back again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do send cards but find that each year I receive less and less. I still think it is a special thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)