Monday, December 30, 2019

New Year and New Growth

Are you ready for 2020?  I am!  I have high hopes for this next year.  Do you make a New Years Resolution?  I do and it's usually the same.  A healthier diet with more fresh vegetables and fruits and more exercise.  What is yours?

My big pot of 3 different varieties of Christmas Cactus has a few bright blooms on it.  Red as this one, a white and a brilliant pink one.  


These flowers are fleeting but so lush and exuberant!


I've been a houseplant aficionado since I was a young married woman.  We lived in Louisiana and I visited a nursery in the countryside and bought my first plant, I think it was a "Corn" plant.. aka Dracaena.  It got quite large!  When I went to leave they gave me a free gift plant, the Cajun lady told me it was "Lagniappe" - something given as a bonus or extra gift.  

The Snake Plant, aka "Mother-in-law's Tongue" in our bay window behind our easy chairs in our den, has surprised me with a spike of flowers!  They haven't opened yet but I'm excited when that happens.  


When they open they are frilly white blossoms.  I've had them flower only a few times.


Right now they have little droplets of water at the base of the buds.


My ZZ plant's newest stem is growing each day.  I guess that is one of the draws for plant ownership is the changes and growth of them.  The oxygen the plants exude are also very good for the people living in homes that don't get much fresh air in the winter.


My greenhouse window in the kitchen is a source of joy for me, too.  The xmas cactus in front is from my friend Sally's window, her granddaughter gave it to me after Sally passed away.  The window where she had it had too much shade and it never bloomed in all the years she had it, so you can understand how happy I am that her plant started putting on buds.  It's a red one!


A close-up of the flower as it opens.


I have a Jade Plant and an Aloe in the window.  The Jade I grew from one leaf years ago.. I'd put a failing plant out on the deck during the winter, thinking I was sending it to plant heaven.  The next Spring I saw a tiny leaf growing in the soil, pulled it out gently and repotted it and it's been growing ever since.  Now that's a survivor!


The whole menagerie of plants in our bay window.  The little unusual variety of xmas cactus in the middle also has a story.  We were at the beach for my birthday and had lunch at the Wildflower Cafe, where we were seated by a xmas cactus with very unusual and lovely blooms.  I asked the owner if I could pinch off a small sprig and he said sure.  We brought it back to the trailer, I got a little plastic container and asked Dayle to get some dirt from the ground to put it in.. and watered it and brought it home.  This is the result.. but still no flowers!  LOL!


This plant lives in front of the window in the den along with it's shamrock friends.  It has big leaves with pink stripes and I'm not sure what it is!  Do you know?  OK.. thanks to google.. 

Calathea ornata 'Pinstripe' has dark green leaves with thin, pink stripes, making a beautiful plant with a striking contrast. Their oblong shaped leaves have deep purple colored undersides.


My red Hibiscus plant is doing well but has stopped blooming ever since I repotted it in this big pot.  That's the thanks I get.  :-)


This is the very common Heart leaf Philodendron - I adopted this plant from my daughter when she moved to Ohio 9 years ago.  It was not doing well at all in it's original plastic pot.. so I re-potted it in one of my favorite pots and it's as happy as can be now.


I ordered a new plaid collar for Mocha to honor her Scottish ancestry.  I think it looks very cute on her.  


Tomorrow is New Years Eve - we are going to try a special recipe and toast the new year in with some sparkling apple cider.  What are your NYE plans?  Do share!!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*
  *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*


14 comments:

  1. Gosh your plants all look so healthy and happy Teresa. I used to be good with plants but the only thing that survives now are my two philodendrons. I think it may be the light in this house. I really don't know because I used to have lots of plants at our other two houses. I even killed the jade plant I just bought in Troutdale last spring. It was really doing well and about 3 weeks ago just died.
    No plans for me for NYE. Dennis goes to Omaha tomorrow morning so I'll be watching the ball drop in New York City and that's it. I'm thinking of having a Harry Potter marathon while I knit mittens! :-)
    I hope you and Dayle have a fantastic new year!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your houseplants are beautiful! I have one small countertop with about 6 plants on it. Along the front are three pots of cactus to keep the cats away. With 5 cats in the house it's the best I can do. The cactus have worked well so far! Have a Happy New Year! xx Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post! I chuckled out loud several times [when you wanted me to, I think] :-) I love the stories about your plants, especially the ones that remind you of loved ones. One day thirty years ago when I lived in NY, I received a small 8"x6" light weight box from my mom who lived in CA. I was amazed to find it contained some plant clippings from her house plants. They survived the cross country trip wrapped in damp paper towels in a plastic bag. I planted the clippings and was thrilled when they thrived! No New Year resolutions for me.... I bet I am asleep by 9:30pm on New Year's Eve. I want to be up to see the Rose Bowl Parade [my favorite parade]. I want to watch the Duck's football game, too. Do you? Dear Teresa and Dayle, may you and yours have a Happy New Year! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no good with houseplants. Kill them off with either too much or not enough love! Although I haven't yet killed off the orchid that my daughter gave me for my birthday in July. I hope 2020 brings health and happiness to you and yours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never have any NYE plans here. Will probably go to bed at our usual times.

    All of your plants are looking great. They all must be very happy, especially the snake plant since it rarely blooms indoors unless it has just the right conditions. My plants manage to just survive with the tinted windows we have here, but I need to have as much green around me as possible. Happy New Years Eve! Mocha sure looks cute with her new collar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see all your vigorous growing plants. Most of my Christmas cacti flowered about a month ago! We’ve only had one flower on our mother in law tongue plant. Very curious flower. Have a very happy new year. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mocha looks very smart indeed. I've always loved having plants around the house too. I probably mentioned this before, but I used to have 80-90 before I had children. Far fewer now, but still some. A houseplant shop has recently opened in our little town. I am trying to be restrained! I hope you and yours have a very happy New Year. I have all the similar resolutions here re diet and exercise. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do much better with plants than I do!
    We are having a quiet night with Prosecco and Chinese take away :-)
    No resolutions other than do what I enjoy rather than please others.
    Happy New Year Teresa and Dayle. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew that mother in laws tongue flowers. I will keep an eye on mine. Hope 2020 is a great year for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Teresa! All the best to you and Dayle in 2020. It's New Year's Eve and I have a crab quiche in the oven and champagne chilling. Also broccoli ready to steam (so we can be healthy!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother's Christmas cactus didn't flower for her and so she decided she would just out it in the spring...it flowered (finally) that Easter. After that she realized keeping it in a room with lights on at night had probably been the problem, so she rigged a plastic (opaque) curtain for around the lower shelf of her plant stand that faced a south window. Put her (gigantic) cactus there and every year after that it flowered for her. I will be curious to see your mother-in-law tongue flower. I've not seen that (in real life lol). Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a green thumb but it seems to have turned black in the past few years. My Christmas cactus leaves have turned purple and not blooms, a fern I have hasn't grown at all in a couple of years and I've had two Kalonchoes (spelling??) die. I do have a couple of blooming geraniums though, so not all is lost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of my snake plants bloom every year. They were my mothers and must be 50 years old by now. I love all of your plants and blooms Teresa. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure a great with plants Teresa and do love Mochas collar....I love all things Scottish it is in my blood. Slowly catching up on blogs here xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)