Monday, December 16, 2019

Vaseline Glass

Are you familiar with Depression Glass?  In particular, Vaseline Glass?  If not, Vaseline Glass is a particular color of yellow-green glass that is made by adding as little as 0.1% to 0. 2% Uranium Dioxide to the ingredients when the glass formula is made. The addition of the Uranium Dioxide makes the glass color yellow-green. Vaseline glass is ALWAYS verifiable by using an ultraviolet light (blacklight) on the glass item. When this is done, the glass turns a bright florescent green! 


The beautiful segmented luncheon plate above was my DIL Kristi's grandmothers.  I got interested in my collection of Vaseline glass when fellow blogger and friend KathyB shared a goblet that her friend was using and he showed her how they glow when you use a UV light on it.  So, I ordered a UV flashlight to check my items and was very surprised what I found!!  Below is what they look like in natural light.


Vaseline Glass is not harmful, as the emissions from the glass are just slightly stronger than normal background radiation that we are all exposed to on a daily basis.



Remember when I got this set of glass dishes last year?  I shined the UV light in my china cabinet to see what might light up and imagine my surprise... 



...when THIS happened!  What??  Wow!


I was quite amazed.


This serving dish was from Kristi's grandmother, also.  We use it to serve sliced jellied cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.


This is an orange and lemon juicer aka reamer.


This Jadeite cup and saucer also surprised me as most Jadeite is not Vaseline glass.



These darling little dessert cups were some I bought from Shirley, my friend who also has an amazing collection of depression glass.



Shirley has one of these wonderful butter dishes and after I'd seen hers I searched for one until I finally found one on eBay.  The bottom is embossed with "Bottom" on it.  LOL!


This oval serving dish is also from Kristi.  I hope you enjoyed my vintage glass collection and history.  :-)



Mocha looked particularly adorable yesterday afternoon.  :-)



I wanted to show you one of her more endearing traits.  She's cuddly!  When we brought her home I used a treat to lure her up on my lap and nestled her under my arm.  Now it's her go-to spot and it makes me happy.  You now see my "nest" next to my chair.  Magazine rack, basket drawer cabinet where I put my computer,  iPad, a lucite holder for pens, crochet hooks and a little basket of crochet thread.  :-)



I will be doing more tidying today as my sister Denise, adopted sister Shirley and Kristi will be here for my annual Girl's Christmas Luncheon on Wednesday.  Time to get things ready!  Do you have any interesting plans this week?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

****************************************
 *M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
**************************************** 

22 comments:

  1. I loved, loved, loved seeing your collection Teresa. How beautiful each piece is in it's own right. And the dishes in your cabinet WERE a big surprise. Who would have thought they would light up. I enjoyed reading that you sliced jellied cranberries too. We do the same and have a special round plate we use. Then we form the slices into a circle on the plate. One year I just put them in a bowl and you would have thought I had committed a crime! Everyone made me promise to never do that again. On the plate the cranberries must go! Ha!
    Little Mocha is so sweet. Our Chloe is acting really old this winter, ever since she had anesthesia for a teeth cleaning. It really saddens me as she's my constant companion.
    Have fun at your luncheon. I'm looking forward to the pictures.
    Hello to Dayle and hugs and kisses to Mocha. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting and informative post. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Mocha, as always, is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting on using a UV flashlight on your collectible glassware. I gave away a green swan candy dish/bowl nine years ago as it was the only piece I had and my friend had many. But I do have a UV flashlight - I use it to find hornworms on my tomatoes in the summer and also scorpions at night when I am outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting post on your Vaseline glass, Teresa. You have many lovely pieces. I collect pink Depression glass. It's fun to use for special occasions. Little Mocha has a good life--such a handsome pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some beautiful glassware, and I love that you use it too. I hate to see old pieces just sitting there and never really enjoyed. Mocha is gorgeous, as you say, so cuddly! I miss my cats coming to snuggle up. I used to have one cuddled up next to me and the other asleep on my feet. Fine until I needed the loo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for another interesting post. Teresa...new to me info about beautiful Vaseline glass, and it is always fun to see sweet Mocha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. You could find Vaseline Glass easily back in the 70's (and fairly cheaply as well). You have some beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Teresa! Your vaseline glass is amazing!!!!!
    Mocha baby. So sweet.
    Our anniversary is tomorrow. Then we prep for the weekend of having our kids home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vaseline glass is totally new to me. I love the iridescent colour. It looks very festive. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your posts, especially this one. I found a piece of this on eBay a few years ago. Your collection is stunning, and the glowing collection...what a surprise. I hope you and yours have a very special Christmas. I love Mocha so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Teresa. I showed your post to my daughter who teaches Science. She thought it was interesting and may somehow incorporate it into one of her classes. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like your collection of glassware. I have quite a few pieces of Fire King that I have collected through the years. LOVE your nest. We all need that spot to rest/recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love seeing Mocha and you have an amazing collection of glassware. Here getting ready to go to city pad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW that glass is amazing!
    Mocha so cute.
    Thank you so much for the card. Hope mine soon reaches you. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an interesting post....I didn't know about Vaseline glass though have sometimes seen it! You have a good collection of it there. Little Mocha is so sweet and affectionate. Enjoy your preparations and your lunch dear Teresa! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. ME ENCANTAN ESOS PLATOS !!!
    Y EL PERRO UN AMOR.
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I translated this for you and me:

      I LOVE THESE DISHES !!! AND THE DOG A LOVE. GREETINGS

      Delete
  17. I've never heard of Vaseline Glass before, how interesting. I don't think we have any in our cabinets but maybe a UV flashlight might reveal some surprises. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pieces with us today. Mocha is always cute, what a wee charmer xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a collection, that's so cool with the light.
    Love that Mocha, she's a dear, sweet pup for sure!
    You have quite a chair side setup. Everything at your fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mocha is adorable! Jingles even likes to put her head in the crook of my arm sometimes. I've never heard of Vaseline glass. How very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You glass collection is amazing. And with the UV light it just completely transforms to even more gorgeousness. Mocha is a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)