Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A New Goat on the Farm

Meet Billy, the newest goat on the farm.  I found him.. where else.. on Facebook Marketplace.  We met the seller on Saturday and the goat came home with us.  He's a cast iron doorstop!  


The seller told me he'd need some cleaning.. yep!


Billy joins my collection of doorstops.  Our old house isn't level and our front door won't stay open in the summer without a doorstop.  :-)



This pair of Scotties was my first doorstop.  It was brought to a Portland Women's Forum meeting for our White Elephant sale.  My friend Dorothy brought it and I think I got it for the grand total of $5.  We had our Cairn Terrier Buddy at the time so I was attracted to this.



The second doorstop that joined my first one is this gorgeous white Scotty.  I got it when we had our blond Cairn and so I liked this one.  He's neat as most doorstops are one sided but he is fully 3 dimensional.  His name is Buddy.


I'm not sure how I got these kitties.. but this was my 3rd doorstop.  It's rather funny what we're using these for right now.  But Mocha, our black brindle Cairn Terrier, rolls her balls under the TV cabinet, so we've lined these up in front of it so they don't roll under it.. because when she does that she barks at us until we get the ball out for her.  Sheesh.


This is Billy after a good soapy washing.  I am wondering if I shouldn't have cleaned him so well?  But here he is.  Do you have a door stop?



In between crocheting I fold up my Dahlia blanket and have it at the ready.  It's getting almost big enough for a lap afghan!


I have been wanting to roast a whole chicken at home.  We always buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco when we go and love it, but I wanted to make one at home.  I found a recipe online and Dayle got the ingredients and prepared this for us last evening.



YUMMMMM!  A total success!  You will need a large cast iron Dutch oven.. ours is a Le Creuset 7 quart "French" oven.  I will add the recipe I printed up if you want to try it.  Chef Dayle is amazing!



You can click on the recipe below and then print it up.  He used bacon grease to brown the chicken breast instead of olive oil...  Only 4 cloves of garlic instead of 8.  Dried rosemary instead of fresh.  Chicken stock instead of sherry and did not use the lemon.  But you can follow the recipe to a T if you want.

What are your kitchen successes of late?  Do share!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

12 comments:

  1. I love Billy! Your doorstops are beautiful. Our doors don't need stops as we have quite thick carpet, so they don't move freely. Mmmm roast chicken! Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roasted chicken looks so delicious. I have a whole chicken in the freezer, now might be the time to thaw it out! I have the same exact kitty doorstop that you have! I bought it for my daughter when she was 10 or 11 and crazy about cats, it still resides in her bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm
    We had a poultry farm in our old town in the Chicago area. They would give you a roasting chicken with all the bones out but the wings and legs. You laid it out flat on the grill and it always came out perfect. So easy to carve. A boneless chicken.......the best places know what you are asking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Teresa, me encanta tu blog, es la primera vez que entro y me encanto, es como sentir el aroma a hogar, me gusto mucho haberlo visitado. Saludos desde Argentina!
    Teresita Coacci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa, I love your blog, it is the first time I entered and I loved it, it is like feeling the aroma of home, I was very glad to have visited it. Greetings from Argentina!
      Teresita Coacci

      Delete
  5. Welcome, Billy! Teresa, you and Dayle have a great collection of doorstops and I appreciate how practical doorstops can be since I have three doors that need them here in the condo. The chicken looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Lovely to see your cheery blanket growing as well! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such interesting doorstops. That blanket is so pretty. Slow and steady makes a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billy is quite handsome, and I love the dog doorstops too! We live in an old, very unlevel house, but the doors do stay open.

    That blanket is going to be lovely, and the chicken looks delicious. I like to roast whole chickens on high heat in the oven with an oil and spice rub to make the skin crispy and delicious - 40 minutes at 475 and it's done! Chicken thighs, on the other hand, are wonderful braised with veggies as yours was.

    Kitchen successes - on Sunday I made oat flour coffee cake (gluten free). We had it for brunch with sauteed mushrooms and eggs scrambled with cheese and herbs. It was delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at those doorstops. The white one does look a lot like Buddy. We have one doorstop although we really don't need it as the door stays open. It's an antique iron. I've had it so long that I don't even know where I got it.
    The chicken looks delicious. Thank you for the recipe. We like to get Costco chicken too sometimes but haven't had one for awhile.
    I've been enjoying crocheting on my rectangle granny blanket. The rounds are getting so big that it takes quite awhile to get around it now. It's nice though working on something that I don't need to think about too much. The shawl I'm knitting takes lots of brain power so the blanket is a nice break.
    I hope you and Dayle are doing well. Much love to you both.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Billy says hello to your Billy Teresa..such a fun doorstep! Your blanket is looking fabulous. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your doorstops Teresa. We have a few that we use. We always used them at my Grandparent's home in Vermont - all the floors tilted in that house - lol. Your chicken dish looks very good. I really enjoy cooking quite a bit. Planning on making BBQ shrimp (a New Orleans recipe) on Saturday when friends come over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Billy is a wonderful addition to your wonderful door stop collection. The chicken looks amazing and sounds very tasty, a great meal.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)