Monday, March 16, 2020

Blog Friends Meet-Up

My blog friend from ClickyNeedles and her husband live in England but have been spending time in Chicago for his work over the last few years.  This last week they took a train from there to Portland so we planned to meet.  We picked them up from their hotel in downtown Portland and whisked them off for a driving tour of the Columbia River Gorge.  We drove out on the interstate freeway and left it at Troutdale and drove up the Sandy River Gorge, pulled through and showed them our farm then off to Portland Women's Forum State Scenic Viewpoint.  Smile!  *click*  :-)


Dayle and Mr. CN sat in the back and had a grand old time chatting.  CN was up front with me and I just loved visiting with her!  She has the most charming accent and an infectious laugh.  How fun to put a face and voice to a friend I've had through our blogs for ten years!!  They are from on top of the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire near Stroud. Next stop was Vista House where the wind gusts were whipping through.  


Then on through the forests and curvy roads to Latourell Falls, Wahkeena Falls and then on to Multnomah Falls.  Dayle walked up to the viewing plaza with our guests and snapped a few photos.


CN said it's a lot bigger than it appears in the photos!  


Mr. Clicky, as she refers to him, is an engineer so when we offered to show him Bonneville Dam he was interested.  They went down to view the fish ladder from underwater but not one Salmon made a showing.  :-)


They were impressed with size of the navigation lock as the ones they are used to are smaller for canal boats and such in England.


Next stop was Cascade Locks where I drove around the Cascade Locks Marine Park, I showed them the neat historic houses and CN loved seeing the quilt squares on on 3 buildings and snapped some photos.  Then down to the old locks and boat ramp where we were charmed to see a big flock of Coots swimming by.


We showed them the yacht basin where we used to keep our sailboat and I told them of the time we'd taken our boat for an overnight stay in a cove upriver and when we tried to come back the motor decided not to work.  So, we raised the sails and after a few attempts we made it out of the cove and headed to the marina.  When we made it there everyone on the dock was amazing to see us coming in under full sail.  Me at the helm and Dayle on deck duty, he dropped sail at just the right moment and we pulled in and he stepped off the boat and tied it up.  WHEW!

I asked our guests.. do you like ice cream?  CN said.. "Who doesn't like ice cream!" lol!  So, we pulled in here and each ordered a cone.  


CN ordered a flavor-burst cone of black cherry and she reported that it was delicious!  I got my customary chocolate waffle cone.  Dayle got a "baby size" cone and Mr. CN got a vanilla, small size.  


I drove us to the little viewpoint park under the Bridge of the Gods where we all enjoyed watching the sun play over the river while we enjoyed our cones.


Then it was time to drive back to their hotel, I snapped this photo of a statue of an elk near their hotel.  Portland really is a beautiful city.


Mr. Clicky snapped a photo of us with my phone.  What a wonderful time we had with our friends!  I must say I was so enjoyed getting to know them better.  They gifted us with a box of Blue Star donuts they'd picked up and I gave CN a pair of my vintage faux tortoise shell knitting needles from my collection, a heart ornament that I crocheted and a poster of Multnomah Falls.  They head back to England soon so I hope that trip is easy and safe for them.


One last shot of our new/old friends.  :-)


Fair winds and following seas, my friends!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

15 comments:

  1. How amazing to meet up.I read both your blogs and it was lovely to see the photos.You gave the a wonderful day which I am sure they loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, and Portland does look fantastic. Clicky Needles lives about half an hour's drive away from me in the UK funnily enough - we often go to Stroud. It's a small world! I'm glad you got to meet her, it looks as though you had a great time and showed her some beautiful spots. The damn and lock are amazing, I'm not surprised they were impressed. The locks at Stroud are very different! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ, maybe you can meet her someday. She's absolutely delightful! :-)

      Delete
    2. When things are less crazy we should definitely meet up CJ. I'm always up for a cuppa!

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous hair, she has!!!!

    But, is this the best time to be meeting up, and going out and about... I thought you were staying home... -smile-

    Stay wise, clam, safe.
    Turn off the 😱screaming😱 sources.
    Listen to your local County Public Health source.

    πŸƒπŸŒ·πŸŒ±πŸŒ·πŸƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thoroughly weighed our risk assessment and deemed it a fairly safe meeting. The places we went were not big crowds, also. We were careful. Thanks for your concern. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the hair comment!!!! It was made extra curly by the East wind!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh Teresa! How fun! I'm so glad you were able to meet up and make some wonderful memories with new/old friends. The Gorge is so beautiful I'm sure they enjoyed it very much. It looks like it was a wonderful day. CN has fantastic hair. Just like I've always dreamed of having. I would so much love to visit the Cotswolds someday. Maybe with Alex living most of the time in England I'll finally have the opportunity. :-)
    Stay in and stay safe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! So glad you could meet up. I've enjoyed her blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun meeting another blog friend and you sure look like you took them to great spots ❤❤ Us back city pad staying safe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for a beautiful post, Teresa! I loved seeing photos of CN and her hubby, as well as the photos of the wonderful area in which live. The sunshine has been so welcome, hasn't it! I have been busy at home since Friday on the phone with calls and texting and on the computer with emails and trying to learn how to set up a group online visit with some gals in the Wednesday morning knitting/crochet baby blanket making group. Now to catch up with online Scrabble and Words with Friends πŸ˜ŠπŸ’žπŸ§Ά

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had the best time, with two lovely, lovely people. It's a bit mad finally meeting someone you 'know' but have never met! Teresa, you and Dayle were wonderful hosts and we can't thank you enough for your kindness. CN xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Teresa, What a fun and cheery post! ! That's amazing. SOME DAY Im coming out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when you get to meet bloggers in person, I am a fan of both of you! How fun to show them around and get to know one another better. I hope next time it is me visiting!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful meeting! Just over a year ago I was able to meet one of my best bloggy buddies Vicki who blogs from England when she came to Australia with her family. It is so special to have these bloggy friends around the world and especially special when we can meet in person.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)