Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Preparing and "Sheltering in Place"

I had a few photos to share with you from a few days ago, so I'm doing some catch up.  This is from the weekend!  Dayle took these when he walked the dog.  During this stressful time around the world, I thought sharing pretty photos might take your mind off your worries for a bit.  :-)


The snow fell in big fluffy flakes and it was so pretty.



Dayle and Mocha have a routine, they walk down our circular driveway towards the road.


Then back up the drive, the barn and our pasture to the right.



Now... we have been preparing for a long stay at home to try to protect ourselves from catching the coronavirus.  I actually googled "what to have on hand in case of emergency" and found a website called "Happy Preppers".  It was very helpful and as I scrolled down and read what they recommend to acquire and I made a long and extensive list.  Canned goods, flour, sugar, beans, baking things, a LOT of pasta of all shapes, rice, sauces, pet food, meats to use and to freeze, etc.  We have a shelf unit in our front entry closet that we use for pantry storage.



Then Dayle went through the whole closet and we tossed everything out of date and he organized all the new stuff.  Isn't he a good boy?  :-)



We started cooking healthier and at home as our new year's resolution, so we are already doing that.  I actually created this recipe years ago.  It's a creamy sauce pasta that is like lasagna.  I'll put the recipe up for you as it's delicious and is much easier than using the big lasagna noodles.  


Here it is on the plate, I use Mafalda noodles which are like a little version of lasagna noodles.  You make a sauce of 1 brick of cream cheese, a cup of milk and a tablespoon of Worcestershire, and then toss the cooked noodles in that.  Yum!




Teresa’s Creamy Pasta Lasagna-style Casserole

16 oz curly edged mini lasagna noodles (Mafalda) or wide egg noodles 
2 lbs lean ground beef
3 Italian sausage links, med
½ onion, chopped 
8 Fresh Brown Mushrooms, sliced 
1 67 oz. large jar of Prego pasta sauce, Traditional flavor
1 8 oz brick of cream cheese 
1 cup milk 
1 TBS Worcestershire 
2 lb grated mozzarella
1 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan or a mixture of Parmesan/Romano

Put a big pot of water on high and bring to a boil, add salt.  Begin sautéing ground beef, remove sausage from casing and cook with beef, chopping meat as it cooks.  Add chopped onion.  When meat is done, drain grease off.  Add mushrooms and cook with meat.  When mushrooms are done, add Prego sauce and stir and simmer.

When the water comes to a boil, add pasta and cook just until al dente as it will cook more while this is in the oven.

Before the pasta is done, put cream cheese, milk and Worcestershire in glass bowl and put in microwave for 1 minute, remove and stir until it becomes a smooth sauce.  Put hot pasta, well drained, into a bowl and pour  cream cheese sauce over it and toss the pasta until coated.

Oil a baking pan with olive oil and then spoon or pour in half the meat sauce.  Put the cream sauced pasta over meat sauce.  Put half the grated mozzarella on top, then half the Parmesan. Add other half of meat sauce, the rest of the mozzarella and top off with the parmesan.

Bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees covered with foil, uncover for 15 more minutes until the cheese is slightly browned. 



Above is a spike of flowers on my Shamrock plant.  Below is both my green and dark red plants.



Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!  I got one new little decoration to add to my display, a little Irish lamb wearing a little green top hat.  :-)


I love my little Irish children and now they have a pet lamb.



I decided to name them, the boy is Patrick, the girl is Molly and the lamb is "Lambie Pie".  LOL!  We actually had a lamb/sheep for years and we called her that occasionally.  We got her from Dayle's cousin when their ewe wouldn't nurse her newborn lamb so they gave it to us as we had dairy goats and could bottle feed it.  Dayle came home in the middle of the night and saw a big box in the corner.. he came to bed and said.. "Why is there a black lamb in a box in the living room?"  LOL!



Dayle surprised me with a bouquet of sunflowers.  Darling husband.


One of my special daffodils in the big pot bloomed and we have a bloom in my brass bulb vase.  This one is named "Orange Progress".



I walked around the back yard and checked on the spring growth and saw the Bleeding Hearts are budding out.  



The Creeping Myrtle is in bloom all around the creek and waterfalls.


Well.. that's all for now.  If you're enjoying my blog posts, please know that your comments are what keep me going.  I so appreciate it when you take the time to say hello.  Thank you!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

25 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your snow and mine! We got a little less than you, but I agree it was pretty as the big feathery flakes fell. Now that I have looked at the early stage of your Bleeding Hearts, I am certain that at least one of my Bleeding Heart plants is coming back too although it is just about five inches high. I can imagine it was startling for Dayle to find the black lamb :-) I'm enjoying seeing Spring spring forth on your farm and your tasty looking efforts to be prepared for this challenging season in life. Thanks for posting, Teresa. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also sheltering in place as we are both immunosuppressed. My husband more than me from his allogeneic transplant. I just wanted to say I enjoy your blog and the pictures. We're not too far away in Northern Cal in the Sierra foothills. I wanted to mention how much I loved the little violet vase, so I went and bought one. It is so cute. I'm much of a minimalist these days but used to be quite the collector of all things vintage. Well, cheers and your pantry is very impressive. Like wow, I have a ways to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snow pictures and your flowers. Your larder looks well stocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Teresa! I so appreciate your blog posts. I haven't kept up my blog for months but maybe I'll get back at it now that I'll be home a lot more! We're in upstate New York and we're just starting to see little bits of green popping through the dirt here and there. It will be quite a while before anything blooms. Your "pantry preparedness" is impressive! xx Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! Stay safe and sound. Of course, we will come out on the other side, wiser and better for it;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good you are able to stock up and keeping well. Here us in 14day isolation in city pad and no one doing deliveries so luck have a son who can drop off outside building. 🙂🙂🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snow photos are so pretty. Our snow only lasted a few days and today is an absolutely gorgeous day. A deep blue sky and a perfect spring day if we just didn't all have this dark cloud hanging over our heads.
    I liked seeing your pantry and thank you for the recipe. It looks delicious. I don't have all of the ingredients for it on hand so it will be awhile before we can try it out.
    I did run out this afternoon because Mandy called to make sure we had Tylenol in the house. Apparently you do NOT take ibuprofen with this virus as it causes nasty side effects and results. She said ONLY take Tylenol. Of course, Advil is all I take so I went to get it right away. There wasn't much left, so I encourage you to make sure you have it too.
    Your flowers and other outside photos are so pretty. Spring is coming, no matter what else is happening and I'm very grateful for that. I have the patio door open today and hear the birds singing right now. What a blessing that is.
    Oh, and I love little Lambie Pie. He's the perfect for companion for Patrick and Molly!
    You and Dayle take care and we're praying for both of you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in London Ontario Canada and we are very stressed too. It is very nice to see your signs of Spring. We are not quite there yet. We are all in this together and we will get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing what is up in your world. The 'easy' lasagna looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're lucky to be able to stock up. Supermarkets here in the UK are now rationing essentials to a maximum of 3, to stop people stockpiling. We've been unable to buy any pasta,rice,flour,hand sanitiser,most tinned veg, Paracetamol and of course (WHY?) toilet rolls! Hoping the rationing means we can all buy what we need. I keep meaning to buy a bleeding heart plant. It's not going to be this year by the looks of it! Keep safe everyone. It's going to be tough, but we will get through it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your blog and about the newest additions to the collections you have

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice post. It's so nice to see spring in bloom. Our snow has melted away but we are expecting more today. We don't have anything green poking its way up out of the ground yet, but I'm hoping in the next week or so that the bulbs I planted last fall will start peeking through. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your property is lovely. Love the cute St. Patrick's day decorations especially that new little lamb. I have put my green items away and have now brought out the Easter things. No one will see them really, but I can enjoy them anyway! The blogs have been a wonderful way to socialize and keep in touch with others. Very, very helpful...especially now! Thanks so much Teresa for taking the time and doing the work to share your life with me! I really appreciate it! (Oh and the lasagna looks yummy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I very much enjoy your blogposts and way with words. But, I especially enjoy your photography of your beautiful area which I have had the pleasure of visiting several years ago. I've posted about a half dozen times but, my comments never show up. Curious why that is. BTW- your crochet projects are quite pretty also. (I say that as an avid yarn lover myself.) Be safe in this current crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. things are so beautiful, around you! Here, it's spring, but nothing has really "spring."

    Are you really going to stay in now??????????????? -smile-

    Love and Courage
    🌱 🌱 🌱

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful creek and also,your yard is awesome. I fell in love tho, with your pantry so full of goodies. We don't have a large pantry, live in a mobile home, and the pantry is not deep like yours is. I do have it stocked. Well, I thought I had stuff, till I saw what you have on hand (grin). Wow, looks awesome...Made a large hamburger,cheese and vegie casserole today, enough for the two of us for several meals. Next on the menu, will be your recipe for Lasagna casserole, probably will have to freeze half, which is nice too, to have it on hand. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute little lamb in a top hat! Looks like you are well prepared to stay "sheltered" for awhile Teresa - I'm glad. No snow here (thank goodness). Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a pantry that is well stocked....I think we are all in awe! And it's nice to have enough to put together lots of different meals. LOVE your pretty decorations! Stay healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love seeing your supplies and knowing that you are ready to stay at home. We have been at home all this week and have supplies ready. It is such a strange time, I think. Never thought I would see something like this. Have spoken with my elderly parents today. They live in Florida....I fear for them. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello.....long time!!! I hope you are staying safe! Great stocked up pantry!! I have done the same. The lasagna looks fabulous. I will be making some!! Love photos, as always....
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh look at your oxalis. And your little stream is running again!! You are the most stocked Of anyone I know!! GOOD FOR YOU. We have gone to turkey or chicken sausage to cut out the fat and it is really tasty I think. WE shall get through this Teresa!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. My latest post....

    Gentle hugs,
    Stay safe,
    🌱 🌷 🌱

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Teresa, you seem well prepared the for war against Covid 19. Here in the UK the shops are now sensibly stopping anyone buying more than 3 of anything as for now the panic buyers have cleared the shelves. We do need to protect the vulnerable and also who can now shop an hour before stores open in many places. Quite rightly. You live in the most gorgeous surroundings, try to focus on being there and in the moment. This is a long haul ahead but it is just a moment in time and like any pandemic which has existed since the earth began it will pass. Your creativity can give you so many hours of pleasure too. Try to stay calm and take care. Blogging is a great way too to keep in touch with the outside world. Hugs to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. You two look totally prepared! My pantry is stocked but with lots of chips and cheez-its because my son eats his body weight in snacks everyday. I actually hid some in my closet just in case he eats us out of house and home. Stay well Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have loved your blog posts for a long time Teresa. And right now doing anything "normal" (like reading your blog), feels great. So thank you for continuing to post!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)