Wednesday, April 1, 2020

🎈Caleb 🎈 Copper and Crochet

Our adorable youngest grandson 🎈Caleb 🎈 celebrated his 11th birthday yesterday.  He decided on a birthday pie instead of a cake.  It broke my heart that we could not be there to help celebrate his big day but we did call and sing Happy Birthday to him.  Luckily we'd bought his gift ahead of the social distancing came into effect.  



Chef Dayle continues to bake bread for us.  Here are the latest loaves.  You would not believe how wonderful the house smells when they're coming out of the oven!  And the toast is delicious buttered with a drizzle of honey.  


When he went shopping right as the gravity of the virus hit - he bought one bag of Bob's Red Mill flour.  He thought we had a lot at home.  Nope.  And guess what?  You cannot find a bag of flour anywhere now.  My daughter Amy told me of this place called Azure Standard and I ordered 2 10 lb. bags of flour yesterday so hopefully that will arrive and we'll have enough for future loaves.


This is his Honey Wheat Bread that I put the recipe on here for you a while back.



The Wright's copper cleaner I ordered came and wow, it works really good!  Not only did I put a better shine on my ladle but I also shined up my set of handmade copper utensils I've had for years.  I think I got these at Saturday Market made by an artisan.  But one reason to get something like this is they last virtually forever.  


Shiny!



I went outside yesterday to get a photo of my one and only tulip that has bloomed.. and to get some sunshine and some fresh air in my lungs.  We've had some real heavy downpours of rain and even some hail and I was worried that all my daffodils would ruined and beaten down.. but happily they withstood the onslaught fairly well.


Time to pick a few more for the house before they are gone.  



My one tulip, it's awfully short, isn't it?


The Peony buds are getting bigger, can't wait to see them open up.



The White Lilac blossom update.  :-)



Introducing Peeps Bunny #4!  I did not have the bright yellow yarn I needed, (full disclosure - I could not "find" any in the episode of hoarding office/studio) so I ordered one skein on Amazon.  


I had never heard of this brand of yarn, have you?  It's made in Turkey.  It's soft and feels very nice and is a bit heavier than the Stylecraft yarn I've been using.


Chef Dayle made another one of his French style roasted chicken dinners in our larger cast iron pot.  This time he prepared some Stovetop Stuffing to serve alongside and it added a very yummy taste to the meal.  It makes enough for two meals for us each.  I think I shared the recipe, have you tried it?


My hair was too long and so I decided to take a couple inches off the side and then I had to implore my dear husband to cut the back.  :-)  I was worried that I'd gone overboard and cut it too short but was able to gather it together, give it a twist and put my barrette in and voila.. success.


Each day we get a few more things accomplished.  Dayle has organized the kitchen.  The counters have all been disinfected.  I've been washing knives, eggs, utensils, folding clothes, reading, playing Words With Friends and Scrabble, reading and crocheting. What are you doing to fill your hours?  
((hugs)), Teresa :-)   

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Caleb!!!!!

    Your Chef is a Master Baker!

    My husband is Chef around here too. He always enjoyed cooking. REtired of course. As a long time pharmacist, he said it's like following doctor's instructions, to fill an Rx! He's been a pharmacist for 60 years, so he remembers when, his profession, had to do a lot more, than just take the right pills out of the right bottle! -smile-

    Your flowers are lovely!

    Have you seen "How To Cut Hair At Home" things??? :-) Luckily I had mine cut shorter, last time. Same haircut but shorter on sides.

    So many little things......... As well as big ones... Changes, for the time being.

    Gentle hugs,
    🌱🌸🌱💜🌱

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all HaPpY BiRtHdAy to Caleb! Dennis and Mandy always choose cherry cheesecake for their birthdays.
    The bread looks amazing and I'm so glad you found some flour so chef Dayle can continue cooking and baking.
    We had the strangest day yesterday weatherwise. I wrote about it on my blog today. No blooms around here anymore. It's snowing right now. :-(
    I just spent an hour on the phone with Apple because I got an alert that someone tried to hack into my phone and iPad. Fun times. I hope we nipped it in the bud before any damage was done.
    Take care and stay home and well.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Caleb and looking good Dayle. Yum bread I miss making it. I think I will have the silver bun look happening now as mine is real long lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your darling Caleb! That bread sure looks delicious. And your copper utensils are lovely! The sweet bunny peeps made me smile, my friend. We've been walking our regular trail in the mornings and have been working getting compost applied to our perennial bed. It's so much to do now that we are home. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 🎶Happy Birthday, Caleb🎶 I love seeing how Spring is blooming around you on the farm, Teresa. Dayle you are a beautiful-bread baker👨🏼‍🍳I knitted some rows on a preemie blanket while on an online meeting this morning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Caleb.
    No flour to be had here, although the shelves in the supermarkets are slowly filling up, so I'm hoping to get some soon. I haven't made bread for ages, and feel the need for some home-made bread. A comfort thing I guess! Knitting, needlepoint, crosswords, gardening and general pottering about here. Not much change, except for the news. Scary, and getting scarier every day. Stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Caleb.
    Dayle is a great baker, the loaves he made look really delicious. I hope your flour will be delivered soon. Flour is difficult to get here, too. On top of that, Richard accidentally killed his sourdough starter and yeast is also difficult to buy...
    We keep busy with work, homeschool, gardening and a bit of crafting. Richard just made a cold frame for the garden. Of course it is impossible to buy seeds just now but we found some old lettuce seeds in a drawer, which is a start. Have a good weekend (we try and observe weekends to give our week a bit of structure) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you’ve settled into a happy, stay at home rhythm. Sorry that you couldn’t be with your grandson on his birthday. Missing family meet ups is the hardest thing. B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Caleb. How sad that you were unable to be with him. The bread looks delicious, so glad you were able to get flour. Thankfully we stocked up just prior to the lockdown so we are still OK in the short term. Crafting and writing is keeping me busy. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Caleb!!! The pie looks so good as does Dayle's bread. Yum. You are fortunate Teresa to be living with such a great cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No flour. I don't bake anymore so when someone requested cookies... I had to use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 flour (gluten free), which was all I could find. This flour is perfect in your famous carrot cake! a little dry for cookies. You can also order direct from Bob's Red Mill to deliver or do curbside p/u (milwaukie). Take care, my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Caleb! I know you would be so sad not to see him on his special day but you can make up for it when all this is over. It's not the same though, I know :(
    Dayle is an amazing chef! The bread looks DELICIOUS!! And now he has turned his hand to hairdressing: he's definitely a keeper! (as if you hadn't decided that by now!)
    Many hugs to you and Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy! I just wrote a long comment, but when I clicked'Publish' it disappeared! Hopefully this goes through.
    Happy Happy Birthday to Caleb! Now he's 11 just like my youngest sonofagun. I know you would miss him terribly. My mum who lives 900km away messaged us last night to say she slipped down some stairs and badly bruised her back and backside. First we were shocked and alarmed, then we made a few jokes about how she has 'concussion of the butt'. But it really masked how my sister, brother and I felt terrible that we couldn't go and see her. She does have my dad to look after her fortunately. If it wasn't for this nasty virus, I'd be on a plane up there quick smart!
    Dayle is an awesome baker. And now hairdresser! Hugs to you both xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to Caleb!!!!!!! Your hair is alway so pretty ! I love the gray. So much!
    Oh If someone baked bread for me..... but I am the bread maker here. I can almost smell you bread when I see it!!!!!
    The days are flying by Teresa. I think since it is FINALLY over 40 degrees and cloudy...meaning it is 50 and SUNNY, we are just very busy in the woods and the yard.
    I am going to finish that baby blanket tonight!!!!
    A group of us who are retired, meet together on line and we laughed... a lot!
    My kids are good and IM praying that continues!!!!!!! Hugs to Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to this special young man! A pie...oh that looks good! So does your bread. I haven't been able to get flour so I'm saving my flour for pizzas! But I wish I had an extra bag too! Love those peeps! How cute are they! I have a bunny like that! Love your Spring blooms too. I'm still hiking and cleaning house! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Teresa, happy birthday to your dear Caleb. Your bread looks amazing, go Dayle! I'm glad you managed to find some more flour. This week has been so very sad for us but my own birthday did bring some joy and a reason to be thankful despite everything. Take care, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Caleb! You are so busy there Teresa, and everywhere looks lovely. The bread Dayle bakes looks so delicious...I hope your supply of flour arrives ok. I am happy that I was able to do an online shop again at last even tough not everything I wanted was available! Have a good weekend and keep well my friend! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.S. So happy to find the comment box appears to be working again on here so I leave you comments again!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of cleaning here. A painting project is ongoing. Cleaned out four landscaping beds...whew. Picking up a box of bees tomorrow. Spent today prepping a new hive box for them. I am not short of things to do around our small farm and I enjoy that. Plus, I still have teacher things to do each day. Walking about an hour each day. I have been keeping busy! I hope you both continue to stay well and thank you for taking the time to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Teresa and Dayle. Good to see you are keeping well. The bread looks yummy. Have just managed to get supplies for bread making, had some but hard to replace some items. Belted birthday greetings to your grandson. We are keeping busy here and time passes quite quickly. I miss seeing my family though and the hugs. Take care. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)