Monday, May 11, 2020

A Weekend on the Farm

We spent the weekend filling two more raised beds with 3-way garden soil and planting the beds and flower pots.  See Dayle using the bucket on his tractor to fill the beds?  I was documenting it and also giving him hand signals when to drop the load and to move back or forwards, etc.


See the soil falling in?



Almost done with the first one.


Raking it even.


All done.. and raked and ready to plant.



First were the Dahlias in the left bed and also the right, and then we planted the Zucchini that I grew from seed on the far end of it, we think we can train the vine down to the ground.  We'll see if that works.  We had ordered some fancy Dahlias and then our friend at the bottom of the road put a notice on Corbett Area on Facebook that she had divided her Dahlias and had put the extras on a table at her house and Dayle went down and adopted some.  It will be fun to see how they do.


We've made this bed our "potting bench" and have planted many pots we had with new flowers.



I've named this our "Salad Garden".  The lettuces grow bigger every day and very soon we can harvest some leaves for our dinner.  :-)


Our kitchen gardens aren't far from our back door.


The big pink Rhodie is looking nice.


On Saturday Dayle made home made burritos filling and I rolled them up.  We just cook up a lb. of ground beef, add some chopped onion, then add some salsa, heat up some refried beans, grate some cheddar cheese.  First you spread the beans, put a big handful of cheese over that and top with the meat sauce.  Roll up and top with ranch dressing, we use Uncle Dans ranch dressing packets and mix it with mayo and sour cream to make a dip.  It's a garlicky herby mix.


We had our dinner while watching the movie "Downton Abbey".  I have to be honest, it was neat to see all the characters but so many of them hardly got to say a word and too much time was spent on the one character, Thomas Barrow.  Plus, we did not like the DA staff drugging the King and Queens cook and locking their butler in his room and pulling a trick on the servers to send them away.  I thought the movie was a disappointment as I thought it was not near as good as the series.  


That being said, I loved all the scenery of the town and the abbey and the Characters.



A final shot.  I wonder if they will make a 2nd one?



Our mail lady saw our pond when delivering a package and said she had about 100 fish in their pond.  I said.. if you want to sell any, we could use a few more.  On Sunday morning she dropped off two goldfish and refused payment.  Isn't that nice?  They are not afraid of Keiko at all and fit right in.



Our Peony bloomed!  Isn't it luscious?


What a center!



The 2nd one nearly open.


There are 6 flowers on it this year, I need to get another photo of them all at once.



A few of the 4th of July rose are opening.


The Bonfire Begonia is coming up strong.


This is what I see from our kitchen window.  Swoon.



The little African Violet will soon be covered with flowers.


This Lilac is opening.. it's neat as this blooms AFTER the other ones and the blooms are delicate and small.


The Clematis is in bloom.. I love the colors in this one.



And a solid purple one in the same clump.  :-)


And a purple Iris hiding under the white lilac.. gonna have to dig it up and move it.  :-(


Lots of strawberries expected!



Dayle spoiled me on Mother's Day, a baked potato, green beans and grilled filet mignon!  Fresh snipped chives from our garden on the potato, along with a dollop of Uncle Dans.  :-)



I got a shot of the Rose Moon the other night.. 


A few hours later I got this shot, it's higher in the sky and whiter.


We're watching the series "Anne With an E" and are really enjoying it, it's on Netflix.  It's about Ann of Green Gables.


I'm happily reading this series - The Seven Sisters - I'm on book two and it's really GOOD!!



Sorry for such an epic post.. but that is what is going on here.  How are you passing the time?  Do share.

((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


13 comments:

  1. I have been shoveling dirt into raised beds and an old metal cow trough. It is work! We have had frost (very late for us) and a few tomato plants died. *sigh* It is always something. Been busy cooking and feeding bees, people, cats and dogs. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those flowers in your heavenly yard! I know you and dayle do a LOT of work to achieve it. I love the goldfish story!!! So sweet. Kind things are happening. Someone saw Allison in her grad cap and gown across the street from where She and Will live. They sent over flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So many beautiful colorful photos and interesting subjects in this post! Thanks for posting. I was given a deep purple Clematis this weekend and I am dreaming of a rectangular planter box on big round castors that I can attach a trellis to...tall enough trellis to block my view of my neighbor's window. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to see in this post. I loved seeing the beds that are beginning to produce. Guys all love their machinery don't they? Dayles pretty good with that tractor. :-). I felt much the same way you did about Downton Abbey. I enjoyed seeing the characters and the scenery, but you're right about the story line.
    I'm glad you had such a wonderful dinner for Mother's Day. Dennis grilled me a delicious burger here at the lake. It was wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED Anne with an E ❤❤❤ Also liked the Downton Abbey movie as missed seeing my favourite characters but yes different to series. Beautiful garden so full of flowers and veg lucky you. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you have been busy, the garden is looking amazing. The kitchen garden is a joy and growing so well. Such beautiful colours of the blooms. Glad you had such a good others day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your flowers Teresa and it looks as though your salad garden is producing well. You will so enjoy being able to pick your own salad! The burritos and your Mother's Day meals both look great! Have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of loveliness to feast our eyes on. I've not actually seen the Downton Film. I am very intrigued ( nosey :-) ) re your fabulous looking barn - it looks huge - what do you keep in there? Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a real paradise surrounding your home, Teresa. I love seeing all your pretty shrubs and flowers and now veggies. I agree with you about the Downton Abbey film. I loved the series, but felt the movie was a little hokie! Oh well it was good to see the characters again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful kitchen garden, Teresa! I so enjoyed seeing how you got the planting done and it's all flourishing now. You and Dayle are very busy and creative and it's great to see all the things you do in your pretty part of the world. The barn looks so beautiful...you know how I love to see it!! Have a great week dear friend. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post Teresa I love your salad garden. I missed the Downton film but lots of my friends say I didn't miss much. Like you I loved the series so much. I am not sure there will be much film making for a long time yet! Keep safe, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your planter boxes. We have one in back lawn that I should do something with. It's hard to grow tomatoes here. Your flowers are so pretty. I am enjoying mine as well. That's so nice that your postal carrier gave you some of her fish! I think koi are so pretty! I should go over to the peony gardens as they are open. Sad to not see the tulip farm this year. I am doing quite of alot of clearing out bins in family room. I did like Downton Abbey but what was done, like you said, wasn't the best. I like your moon photos! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love you flower pics. Can't pick a favorite. I watched one season of Abbey and compared it to Upstairs Downstairs from long ago on my PBS station. Stay safe. What are you going to crochet next?

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)