Friday, June 19, 2020

New Windmill

Have I told you that I'm fascinated by windmills?  It comes from seeing one on my grandparents farm in Oklahoma.  


Here is a painting I did of my grandparents barn and you can see the windmill.  I painted this from a photo my SIL D'Ann took when they visited once, the barn was in poor repair.  I do think I added the windmill and outhouse using my artistic license.  :-)


 So.. when we went to Coastal Farm & Garden to pick up chicken and wild bird food, I saw a nice tall windmill in their garden center.. and a few days later Dayle bought it for us!  Then began the painstaking assembly by my dear long-suffering husband.  :-)  After he got it all put together I went out to survey it and said... umm.. errrr... the cross pieces are incorrect.  What?? He said!!  Yep, my dear, they were not aligned properly.  The ones on the bottom and also the ones on the top.  Then I kept him company (and watched him like a hawk) while he took it all apart and figured out how to put it back together correctly.  :-D


Then when the base was together he started assembling the windmill head.  Once that was done our grandsons helped him put the top part on the base and screwed it all together.


He still has to screw on some cross pieces for stabilization and then will put it behind the salad garden bed.  The older windmill was Kristi's father's and so she will be taking it and placing it in her garden.  


Sister Begonias.


Remember me telling you about the invasive species we're battling here on the farm?  Wild cucumbers.. EVIL things that grow like a foot a day.. here is one of the "fruits" that grow on them.. packed with seeds.  Ugh.


The Hydrangea is setting out flowers.  :-)


The ornamental grass behind the bird feeders was looking lovely in the sun this morning.


And so.. it's a gorgeous day today and we'll be outside doing this and that.  I'm going to harvest some salad greens for dinner and Dayle is making us all scrambled eggs with sausage, mushrooms, spinach and sprinkled with grated Tillamook cheddar cheese and fresh snipped chives for lunch.  YUM!  

I am not ignoring all that is going on here in our struggling country.  I'm doing what I can to support what is good.  But I also am trying very hard to elevate my mood and my world around me.  I urge all of you make your world as happy as you can.   ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

13 comments:

  1. Teresa, I was touched and inspired by your last paragraph. Thank you for being thoughtful (in both senses). /Fay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that windmill....I have my mums windmill in our backyard she painted it and it is a bit rusty now. My goodness those boys are tall. Keeping happy doing bits and pieces here 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Windmills are fascinating to me as well and I admire your family effort to construct the handsome one for your farm. My Nebraska niece's family has a working one on their farm that is similar to the one in your beautiful painting. Some of my Sweet Pea and Morning Glory seeds are already producing little plants and a Sugar Snap Pea plant has a blossom on it...promising signs of growth and productivity for which I am happy and grateful. Thank you for posting, Teresa. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. The windmill painting was a delight, you have a talent and a good eye for beauty. Loved the windmill, a great addition to your farm. The garden is looking beautiful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new windmill Teresa - looks so nice with the red on it (to match your barn and house!!). Also noticed how BIG your grandsons are getting. Nice that they live so nearby so that you can see them often. Hope you have a beautiful weekend - enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting plant, too bad it's not edible, but it can be used medicinal.
    The native Americans (Chinook & Chehalis) used it as medicine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marah_oreganus

    Much like people, plants are neither all evil nor all good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle is the best putting that all together. It looks wonderful. I have had a tough week at work and now my anger at the country and the situation we are in seems to be escalating. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa, your new windmill sure is a pretty thing. I love windmills. I am new to your blog, and have really enjoyed reading your posts. Wild cucumber never heard of that, doesn't surprise me though. Your garden is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa, the windmill is gorgeous. Your blog is always a place of beauty . it is refreshing to come to this page and I welcome your messages. Windmills are not often seen here. There is at least one replica of a working windmill dedicated to the Dutch who settled in Waupun wisconsin, north of Madison

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like your windmill, and we have two in our suburban garden. We didn't intend to have two but had bought a smallish feature one for our son's small 30 acre property but it is very windy where he lives and it fell apart several times so we inherited it and my husband reinforced it and it is still standing in our garden but would not survive on a windy site, so now we have two. Ours are made of steel, but yours looks like it is wood, and is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO late commenting on posts. We took our little trailer halfway up Mt. Spokane on Thursday and just got back. There was no internet or cell service to speak of so I gave up trying to get online.
    That windmill is really something. It's so pretty. Dayle is so much like Dennis. They are always trying to do things to please us and make us happy. I sure hope he feels the same about me. :-)
    Your garden is looking so abundant and delicious. I hope you have a great Sunday.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice windmill, Teresa and Dayle! Kind of him to get it for you! I like the painting you did! I have a small windmill like piece I need to set up in my flower bed. It took me a bit to find it. Bought is with some suet bird food. Where did I put it? Under something...that's what happens when I set things down when off work, then forget it..under a table by front door... hahaha..me! Nice Sunday weather here. Went to church today, still social distancing and mask wearing, per protocol! It's ok and good to be there, 2nd time going in person! Have a good week, my friend! x******x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your windmill... what a fun thing to have in your garden. How sweet of your husband to get it and put it together for you. I agree with your last statement... we all just have to do whatever we can and feel comfortable with, but we also need to be happy.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)