Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Needle Book Finish and Flowers Aplenty AND Some Rabble-Rousing

Done and dusted.  I now will know where my sewing needles are.  :-)  It's not square and has plenty of oopsies but it's my own creation from scratch and I love it.  

My son Travis informed me that using the 13 star flag was considered racist by some.  I have heard that some Nazi-wannabes have used this flag for their evil cause but I am here to tell you that I will NOT let them highjack this image to use for negative things.  

This flag was created to be the first flag of the newly formed United States of America and I think it's wonderful.  

Betsy Ross was a Quaker. Quakers (Society of Friends) believed in the abolition of slavery since their creation in the 1650's. Ross was also from Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania abolished slavery in 1780.

"An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery, passed by the Pennsylvania legislature on 1 March 1780, prescribed an end for slavery in Pennsylvania. It was the first act abolishing slavery in the course of human history to be adopted by a democracy."


I used some red cotton printed with gold polka dots that my friend Bev gave to me to line it.  All hand sewn in.  Then I cut some white felt for the "pages" but it was glaring and out of place so I decided to continue with my red theme.  I still have to move my needles over but will do that today.



My brother asked how how many needles does a person need so I told him I have sewing needles, beading needles, darning needles, yarn needles etc... :-)  My favorite needle is this handmade sterling silver yarn needle made by my friend Molly at Celtic Swan Forge.



My pin cushion was the perfect companion to me while I was doing so much hand-sewing on the needle book.



My visitors on Monday were my friend Shirley, her husband John and my sister Denise.  We all practiced safe distancing and kept our visit to the outdoors.  I have to admit it was stiflingly hot so our visit wasn't too long but we still enjoyed a good chat and we had iced tea with lemon and some of Dayle's homemade zucchini bread while visiting.  When they left we gifted them with a big zucchini and a dozen fresh eggs.  :-)  When they left our son Travis brought over our grandson Hayden for the week.



Then yesterday my brother Rob came by to get a good look at our tandem boat trailer that Dayle had built to carry two of our Sunfish sailboats.  Rob is going to do the same with the boat and trailer that was my sister Roberta's.  Her husband Teddy is giving it to Rob.  We had a chat and I sent him home with a jar of sourdough starter.. and.. a big zucchini.  :-)



Dayle and I enjoyed more time on the deck and I love seeing the hanging baskets in full flower.  Oh how Mocha is loved.



Dayle dug around in the bushy tomato plants and finally found some tomatoes!  Now to hope they turn red.  :-)  Actually this one is called "Black Cherry" so it might not turn red.


This one is a "Big Boy" we think.



Some of the Dahlias that we got from Sue at the bottom of our road are blooming!  They are quite a surprise!


This is one we got from Brecks - a pompom.


The other Brecks's dahlia that was what we ordered.


This was the wrong one we got from Brecks.  It's still pretty but no near as spectacular as the photo on the website.



Pretty daisy-like one.



Our pink rose.  Bug extra.


Double Delight.


Scentimental rose.


And I am so pleased that the Limelight Hydrangea we got last summer and planted is blooming very nicely!


We planted it near the road by two green-leafed Japanese Maples that were gifted to me by my blog friend Kathy.


Aren't these flowers lacy and blowsy and wonderful?



I wanted to share with you a clock I made 34 years ago!  When we moved here the house was beige and all the out-buildings were too.  Dayle built the barn and painted it to match.  I added our animals, we had a black Great Dane/St. Bernard cross named Butch and a tiny miniature Dachshund named Pretzel, and on the hillside was my Quarter horse named Lady and Amy's Arabian named Serendipity.  Also our 3 goats and black sheep.  Mt. Hood is behind us which you can see if you climb up to the top of the pasture behind our house.  The roses are because I named the place Rose Hollow Farm.  Note: the brown spots are knots in the pine wood used for the clock, my friend Gary cut these out for me from 1x12 pine boards.  :-)  I'm halfway tempted to update this and paint all the buildings barn red.. what do you think?


NOW.. if you've heard that Portland is being decimated and destroyed by rioters to the extent that Trump had to send in his own army to save us.  NOTHING IS FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.  

Yes, we have had peaceful demonstrations downtown in a small area since the death of George Floyd who was choked to death by 4 policemen.  Unfortunately some bad elements have caused some damage there.  I do not condone any vandalism.  But there is a big difference between peaceful protestors and destructive people.  

Things were winding down until the jack-booted gestapo arrived.  It was like throwing gasoline on a fire and now each night more people are going downtown to see what is going on.

The thugs that were sent here have beat and gassed peaceful protestors.  One man who was just standing there was shot in the face with a large rubber bullet which fractured his skull and he's had to have reconstructive surgery and it still hospitalized.

A few men who were headed away to go home were grabbed by his thugs, thrown in a van and their face covered and taken to an unknown location and were grilled by these thugs for hours and only were released when they asked to have an attorney present.

A group of moms decide to go down to join arms and make a #WallOfMoms (wearing masks) and were pushed and gassed by his thugs.  Gassing pregnant women!

Those gestapo types were sent here without any communication to our Governor, Senators or the Mayor of Portland.  Our leaders are all appalled and want them to leave.  They are refusing to leave and now Trump says he will send them to all cities with Democrat leaders.  Are you ready for that?  

At any rate, I wanted you to know that Portland is okay and will be better when those unlawful thugs are sent packing.

And people.. beware if they are sent to your city.

((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

17 comments:

  1. I am disgusted by Trump and all of his actions/decisions/whatever he is doing. Very tiresome, I think. However! Many people in my small town community support him and his ideals. My husband and I find it ridiculous. Glad you were able to have some company via social distancing. We did the same thing this summer. What else can you do?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've heard all about the actions by the thugs in Portland, Teresa! I am beyond appalled. It seems every day there is a new low that our president and his supporters stoop! I'm so angry that our Congress allows this to happen in our country. I honestly don't know it anymore...
    Your needlebook is so clever! And of course your flowers are always delightful to view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new header pic of the Wall of Moms! He is playing with fire! Outrageous attacking American citizens. No solution to the virus, just let people die. Karma's gonna get you Donald. Beautiful flowers and visiting with friends. Thanks for sharing♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, They are trying to SEND them to Chicago. Lori Lightfoot does not want them. Chicago does have serious difficult and horrific problems in some areas. But , local leaders in neighborhoods seem to have the biggest effect on the people who are suffering and frustrated.
    Your flowers are so so delightful to see . The double rose is a stunner.
    I wouldn't touch that momento at all!!! It is perfect and it is a wonderful memory...but if you want to! you re the artist. Glad Dayle is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much bad out there but you bring happiness with todays flowers and neat clock Teresa 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so admire your beautiful creative crafting: the pin cushion, needle book and clock. I so admire your gracious hospitality and generosity. I so admire your good photography of beautiful flowers and tomatoes and folk and Mocha. Being committed to supporting equal protection and prosecution under the law for all people is a perfect goal I think we share in an imperfect world. How much is enough? Who deserves sanctuary? Who or whose property should be sacrificed? Should we vilify a group that aims for good but has some villains who need to be prosecuted? I wrestle with those questions and pray and sometimes hear and see and understand differently than you I think. But I like you am grateful to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave and I am committed to do what I can to help our states to be united in love. ((hugs)) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa and Dayle! I'm so glad you got to visit with Shirley and her husband AND your Denise and Rob too. And you got to see your son and grandson! You are definitely blessed. It sounds like your garden is going gangbusters if you're giving produce away. I wish I lived closer for your eggs. I remember how good they were.
    I'm trying to see how you fastened in your "pages". It looked like you did a running stitch and fastened it to the lining??? When we get this move over and done with I would like to do something similar.
    We got the last of the furniture out of the house tonight. Dennis has his big toolbox and his office chair that he just couldn't part with left in the garage. We also have our patio furniture to move. Not bad for two old people. Except for the help I had those first two days with Alicia, we've done it ALL ourselves. We didn't get back to the lake until 10:00 tonight. It's been that way for the past 3 nights. Poor Dennis leaves for work at 5:00 am and then falls into bed after a shower. It's SO HOT! We both need showers when we get back to the trailer.
    Take care and hi to Dayle. Big virtual hugs too.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So worried about my daughter who works in downtown Portland, she doesn't protest yet still has to be in the area :( Trump LAW AND ORDER is him wanting a martial law state. Nov can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The needlecase is a delight, beautiful. Glad you were able to have visits with family and friends. Your garden and hens are so productive, its so nice that you are able to gift so much. Enjoy the time with your Grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be right there with those moms if I were anywhere close. I participated in the Women's March in 2017 and I think we need another pussy hat parade downtown. Someone needs to be put in his place.
    Love the needle book. Now I know what they are! How clever. Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your needlebook turned out perfectly Teresa! I love it (and I love your sterling silver yarn needle - gorgeous!!). Glad you were able to have some friends visit - and your brother. Your flowers are always so big and beautiful! Maybe you could make (or Dayle could make) some fried green tomatoes with some of your crop - YUM. I like your clock and I would not change it - it's part of your past!

    ReplyDelete
  12. teresa,
    i appreciate your thoughts about what is happening in portland. thank you for using your blog as a platform for justice.
    melissa from pdx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tremendously sorry to see all the violence in different parts of the States. I have been watching the scenes on the BBC World News unfortunately the media distorts events so much that it is difficult to know what is real!! I really don't think that the USA deserves to be governed by a person like T. Surely the people who voted for him can now see his true colours...I hope so!! Your needle case is perfect and your clock...impressive...you are so creative. I must add I do like that hand cast needle...a treasure! Stay safe Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for presenting an honest look at what's happening in Portland. I fear for our country. Trump can do a lot of damage between now and November. And I am afraid of what havoc he will create if he loses the election, he does not take defeat graciously. I'm sorry for what your community is going through and hope it ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheetoh in Chief is truly abominable. I don't know why he is allowed to keep making such asinine decisions; how he is allowed to be such a bully; how anyone can look at him and say we are blessed to have him as a leader. Gag! Truly awful. Sure is nice of you to send all your guests home with such lovely gifts. Nice work on your needlebook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both of your flag needlework, Teresa. Lovely flowers and a couple look like mine. It's been warm lately, warmer today and tomorrow. I need to go outside and water plants. I saw a bird taking a bath in bird bath this a.m. Funny to watch! Phil mowed the lawn Sat and it looks so much better after a couple weeks. Stayed home from church today as I wasn't feeling the best due my neck being tight. It is getting a bit better. Another day at home from church and getting curbside pickup at Red Robin which Phil drove to pickup. Just like weeks ago when we were home to watch church on line and take out/curbside pickup only. Better than no house or food! Take care my friend! x------x Becky

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)