Wednesday, September 23, 2020

A Gift from Julie, Crab Cakes and Plants

The mail arrived a few days ago and I was surprised to see a package.. from France!  Ohhh!  What could it be?  A delightful card with a very sweet message, 2 lovely bookmarks and this!  A hand embroidered cross stitch from my blog reader and friend, Julie!  Thank you so much, this little cushion is amazing and I adore it!  We've been exchanging Christmas cards for a few years so she had my address.  I love how she made the house red with a blue roof and the sunflowers and autumn trees.  What a treasure!


It was so intriguing seeing the postmark from Colmar, France!


This is the postcard inside, the back is a sweet handwritten note from my friend Julie, wishing us all well, young and old.  What a dear lovely woman!


Also inside were these two French bookmarks.  I love the one with the Eiffel Tower and the cute birdhouse.


Kristi worked for literally hours hand picking crab to make crab cakes for dinner.  It was her first time and she found the perfect recipe online.  I will give you the recipe below.  She also boiled our homegrown potatoes and stopped at a farm stand and picked up fresh picked corn which was SO tender and delicious.  We all told her it was a resounding success and worthy of the finest dining establishment.  :-)


A close up of one of the crab cakes.. omg.. I wish you could taste these, made with fresh caught Dungeness crab off the coast of Washington in the Pacific Ocean.  


Here they are before baking.


See the big lump meat?  Swoon.  I was the lucky one to have the leftovers the yesterday and it was every bit as good as the night before!


My amazing DIL also used our fresh picked zucchini and made this for us.  It was popular and is already gone.  I will need to check the zucchini plants to see if there are anymore on them.


We've been enjoying time with Dayle on the deck, sitting well away from him.  He filled the bird feeders while I was out with him.  He will be moving back into the house tomorrow.  Mocha and I will be sooooo happy to have him back with us.


He also filled one of my pots I made with soil so we could put the aloe and the other succulent in their own "home".


Here is the pot I made.  When I was taking ceramics at Mt. Hood Community College, I decided to take Sumi ink painting from a Chinese master named Wing K. Leong.  I had seen lovely Chinese pottery with beautiful painting on them so I set out to do something similar.  He gave a class at the college so I snapped up the opportunity to learn Sumi ink skills.  I threw the pot on a wheel, let it dry to to "leather" hard, trimmed the base, had it fired once, glazed it with a semi-opaque white glaze, then mixed cobalt powder with water and painted with a Chinese brush - an iris with grasshopper above.  Then the final glaze firing.. it's very exciting to see the pots come out of the kiln.


This little plant is stressed but I hope it bounces back.

 
My orchid had looked like it had died so I put the pot out on the gazebo table in "plant detention" to see if it would rally and look!  A little orchid leaf is emerging!  Dear orchid, you will live to see another bloom.  :-)


These will all come inside for the winter.


Kristi also made us a lemon cheesecake.  I got the recipe from Dayle's older sister Eileen.  She made it for a sister's xmas party many years ago and I fell in love with it, and Travis loves lemon things.  It turned out DEEELISH!


Kristi went shopping today and look what she brought home for Mocha?  LOLOL!!!  As you can see, she was afraid to move.  Then Kristi carried her out to show Dayle through the trailer window and "flew" her through the air for him.  He cracked up.  :-)


A quick story - Hayden was outside blowing off the deck and came in and said there was a big bird out there.  Well.. I thought.. hmm.. a Blue Jay?  So, I went out a bit ago to photograph the pot and heard a thump on the gazebo roof.  Hmm.. a limb?  Then I moved a rocking chair and the sound apparently scared off.. A GREAT BLUE HERON FROM THE ROOF!  That $%%^& bugger was fishing in our pond!!!!  I'm so mad!  I called Dayle to come and watch them while I did this blog post and he put some food in and we still have Keiko, Ashley, Pierre and Tiger, but it looks like that (growl) both our pond goldfish are gone. Kristi saw scales on one of the rocks, too.  I suggested that Dayle put some old window screen over the pond and he has done so.  Sigh.  OK, I'll sign off and below my signature I will add those two recipes for you.

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 
-------------------------------------

 Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe 

(Little Filler)


Prep Time: 40 minutes 

Cook Time: 15 minutes 

Total Time: 55 minutes 

Yield: 6 large crab cakes

Ingredients

1 large egg

1/4 cup (60g) mayonnaise

1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 

(or 2 teaspoons dried)

2 teaspoons dijon mustard

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning 

(up to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons for a spicier kick)

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 pound fresh lump crab meat

2/3 cup Saltine cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers)

optional: 2 Tablespoons (30g) melted salted or unsalted butter


Instructions


Whisk the egg, mayonnaise, parsley, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, lemon juice, and salt together in a large bowl. Place the crab meat on top, followed by the cracker crumbs. With a rubber spatula or large spoon, very gently and carefully fold together. You don’t want to break up that crab meat!

Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.


Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). Generously grease a rimmed baking sheet with butter or nonstick spray or line with a silicone baking mat.


Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, portion the crab cake mixture into 6 mounds on the baking sheet. (Don’t flatten!) Use your hands or a spoon to compact each individual mound so there aren’t any lumps sticking out or falling apart. For extra flavor, brush each with melted butter. This is optional but recommended!


Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and on top. Drizzle each with fresh lemon juice and serve warm.

Cover leftover crab cakes tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

-------------------------------

Lemon Cheesecake


Crust: 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

4 1/2 TBS sugar

4 1/2 TBS melted butter


Filling:  2 pkg of 8 oz. cream cheese (ROOM TEMP)

3/4 C sugar

Juice of 1/2 lemon

3 eggs


Topping: 1 pint sour cream

1 tsp vanilla

6 TBS sugar


Combine crust ingredients and spread into pie pan or springform cheesecake pan, bottom and sides.


Beat cream cheese until blended, add sugar and beat together, add lemon, combine and then beat in eggs, one at a time, pour into pan and bake 350 deg. F for 30 minutes, remove from oven, pour topping over and return to oven for 5 more minutes.


Cool and keep in fridge until served.


12 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift from France! I love crabcakes and yours look delicious... the whole meal looks so yummy! My daughter has an orchid but her husband takes care of it. He waters it by putting ice cubes on the soil so that it waters the plant slowly. Is that Mocha's Halloween costume? It's adorable! Glad that Dayle can finally come home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I 'll have that lemon dessert! Kristi is great! Tomorrow you get your Dayle back!!
    I love the gifts your overseas friend sent to you. How fun. Hope your eyes are better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice post until reading about the fish, Teresa! So sorry. I've said it before, you have the sweetest DIL! My crab cake recipe is very similar to yours. I can just taste the deliciousness! Happy Autumn days to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zooh yum I made low carb lemon cheesecake yesterday. Bloody bird how dare it eat the fish 😓😓 Yay to Dayle being in the house now. Lovely post Teresa so much to enjoy and oh my those crabcakes. Lovely blogger gift too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always had a freezer full of crab meat she would pick from the crabs she would catch on the bay. She made the best crab cakes and crab soup but my favorite was her bluefish. I used to love it. You can't find a bluefish in the bay anymore.
    I have a French penpal also. I met him 30 years ago when shortwave radio was the thing and they would call out your name and address if you wanted someone to write to you. We've been exchanging gifts and cards all this time. He sends the best things. I have a hard time coming up with gifts that equal his.
    We have a problem with herons and osprey eating from the city koi pond. The keeper is always on the lookout for someone wanting a snack. They are easy prey compared to the things in the bay I suppose.
    Your little bee is too cute! We have a doggie Halloween parade here every year but I guess like everything else it is canceled. I had bought our pup a new costume on clearance last year but I guess we won't be using it. Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! You have produced my favorite post ... (again) :) Thanks for sharing your artistry through your good narrative and photos! I enjoyed learning about: the lovely gifts you received, how you created your beautiful pot, and your gardening tips. I cheer for Chef Kristi's successful cooking! I celebrate Dayle's return to better health! I am delighted to see Mocha-bee buzzing around! And I boo Blue Heron's choice of Goldfish for sustenance! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post and what a cute bumble bee. So lucky to get mail from France. Sorry about your gold fish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything about your post today is wonderful...except that Heron! How dare he eat the fish we've all grown to love? I'm so sorry and glad that Dayle has taken steps to keep predators at away from the remaining fish.
    The crab cakes and pie both look so delicious. You have a true gem in Kristi. I'll never forget the bag of goodies she and Travis sent home with us when we visited.
    I laughed out loud at sweet little Mocha. She probably thought, "what in the world is this stuff all over me?" She will be so glad to see her Daddy tomorrow and get to give him lots of love and kisses.
    I finished Piper's sweater about 10:45 tonight and will wash it and get it in the mail tomorrow so maybe it will arrive by her birthday Tuesday. I sure hope it fits. She's so tall now.
    Take care my dear friend. Oh, it just started raining about 5 minutes ago. I'm so happy to hear it on the trailer roof. It's SO needed.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sweet gifts from France Teresa! Love the sweet little cushion she cross stitched and the bookmarks are so cute! Those crab cakes look delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Glad Dayle will be back with you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely thoughtful gift. Lovely to see Dayle and I'm glad to hear he is back with you tomorrow, hurray. The food all looks delicious, you do have the nicest things. That pot is amazing, so professional, well done you! Lovely to see your orchid making a comeback too. Have a great day tomorrow with Dayle. Hugs, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky gal Teresa! Gorgeous gifts all the way from France. They are all lovely but I particularly like the book markers! Today you have your husband back with you don't you? I hope he has fully recuperated from the ordeal. I had to laugh when I saw the photo of your adorable bumble bee...Mocha looks a little put out I think :-) Very sorry to read that you have lost one of the goldfish. I do hope that bird doesnt decide to come back for the others!! Your DIL made a delicious looking meal. I am not a lover of crab meat but I would probably make an exception if I was dished up a meal like this!!! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet little cross stitch gift from your friend in France! I went to Colmar while on a holiday trip many years ago. Your bookmarks are fun too! The crab cakes do look delicious, as do the zucchini loaf and the cheesecake...Kristi is a wonder! So glad Dayle will be back with you tomorrow. Enjoy your weekend dear Teresa! XXX

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)