Monday, September 28, 2020

Collecting, Hawthorn Berries & Fried Rice

Hello friends, I hope your weekend was good.  I added a few more pieces to my Jadeite collection recently.  In fact yesterday I saw this cute little refrigerator container on Facebook Marketplace for a fair price so I texted the seller and we went for a nice drive over to Washington to pick it up.  I like the fruit embossed top.  These pieces pre-dated Tupperware plastic and I think we all should use these instead of the dreaded plastic.


Also recently my dear friend Bev texted me this photo of the hen on a nest candy bowl - she was at a yard sale just down the road - she knew I collected Jadeite so she picked this up for me.  I paid her back and gifted her a dozen eggs for her thoughtfulness.   


This hen is a new piece made by Mosser Glass who is making a LOT of new Jadeite.  You have to really be careful if you think you are buying a vintage piece.  But I still like this dish.


This just arrived via USPS, I joined a couple of Jadeite groups on Facebook and one of them shared this book.  I ordered it on Amazon and I can't wait to read it and find all my collection pieces in it.  :-)


Our drive to pick up the fridge dish was quite lovely as I needed an outing and the sun was shining.  We also picked up a grocery order on our way back and had a delicious cheeseburger at Carl's Jr.  When we arrived home I snapped this photo of the pretty day as I got out of the car.  


Our grandsons both wanted to work to earn some $$ - Caleb dusted the living room and tidied it up.  I rarely show this room as we spend most of our time in the family room/den.  He also dusted our bedside tables, cleaned all the counters in the kitchen,  organized it and vacuumed for us.  He worked 4 hours to earn a new mouse for his computer.  I then ordered it and it arrives today.  Hayden vacuumed our basement with the shop vac, blew off the deck and front porch and helped me put away a pile of things that needed done.  He was working for a Lord of the Rings ring.  It also got ordered from Amazon.  Win win!!


I took some photos of the Hawthorn trees with better light, they are loaded with red berries.


Closer...


Closer yet.  


Dayle made spam fried rice for dinner, I took this photo before he remembered to scramble some eggs to mix in.  It is delish!  Easy too, cook 2 cups of rice, cube the spam and brown it, add in the veg and cook, when that is done add the rice, some soy sauce and brown it all together and voila, dinner!  This is a well-loved dish in Hawaii.


That's it for today.  I am wishing you a wonderful week ahead.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


14 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful friend you have! One of my aunts collected jadeite and I remember seeing it displayed in her dining room. Nice to have such hard workers to help out with chores! I make fried rice often, usually I make it with chicken. It's easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have the same coffee table! I love ours. Found it years ago in a junk shop & it ended up it had belonged to a friend of ours’ mom!! Beautiful red Bush/tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely refrigerator jadeite glass piece, Teresa. I also like the hen piece from your friend. It's nice your grandsons are working to help themselves and you. Important life lessons for them. Enjoy a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jadeite glass is pretty and the pieces you got are practical, too. I have been using two little old glass Pyrex covered bowls that belonged to Louis's mom. They aren't pretty, but I use them everyday in the microwave and refrigerator and they are a good reminder of his mom. Glad you had a good weekend! Early this morning I woke up and looked at an alert on my Weather Channel app. It reported on wildfires in the Santa Rosa, California area. The family and friends I texted are safe, but my nephew and his wife evacuated on a road with fires on both sides and said it was very scary. I am so grateful the for those beautiful blue smoke-free skies we have been having recently and your photos show in this post! love and ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made fried rice for dinner too tonight. My DIL gifted us a giant bag of frozen dumplings she had made on her last visit so I steamed them while I made the rice. I did not forget the eggs but last time I forgot the mushrooms I had bought for it. I made soup out of them later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blue skies looks so pretty aftr the smoke we've all suffered with. I really like your new jadeite pieces, especially the little dish with the lid. When we have a house again I would like to have more glassware instead of the plastic stuff.
    That rice looks delicious. We're going camping this weekend and it looks like something that would be delicious for camping. We have reservations at a KOA up north. It will probably be our last trip for the summer before Dennis winterizes the little trailer.
    Take care my friend. I'm guessing Dayle must be feeling pretty well if he's up to cooking.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a fabulous collection of Jadite Teresa and even if not antique lovely. I need your grandsons here 😉😉 Go Caleb and Hayden. Yum Daule that fried rice looks delish. More of your Hawthorn trees to admire 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of using containers like that in the fridge instead of endless plastic, well done you. And great that you've added a couple of new pieces to your collection. I know you'll enjoy reading the book too. Well done boys on all that hard work, I'm impressed and your living room is looking beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you have your grandsons help out to earn their rewards. A good life lesson to learn! That square jadite is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I hope when I see some Jade dishes that you need them. I;d love to help you find a find!!!!! My goodness that's a bounty of fruit! I love all of your collections! I hope you liked my lil joke on my post today! I know you are a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another yummy and easy recipe for me to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at your blue, blue sky!! Lovely. I'm not a fan of spam, but I do love fried rice. Do you do anything with the hawthorne berries? I don't know if they are good for humans or not - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pretty new jadeite and your fried rice dish looks yummy. Such bright and colourful autumn pictures too. Your grandsons are good boys working hard to earn their rewards. Wishing you and Dayle a wonderful week dear Teresa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren’t your grandsons great to be happy to do chores for you. Love the jadeite collection. We too have masses of hawthorn berries this year. Does that mean a colder winter?

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)