Friday, October 30, 2020

Rainy Day at the Beach

The rain finally came, but it's only supposed to last a short time.  We'll see!  Dayle took Mocha for her morning walk so she's a bit wet.  The good news is that the big monstrous RV pulled out this morning before we even got up.  So.. look.. you can see the ocean again.  A new smaller van style RV is in now but you can see over it nicely.  


After I posted on my blog on Wednesday we headed out for some gadding about.  We went through a drive thru for lunch at Arctic Circle.  My first job when I turned 16 was at one of these in SE Portland.  I remember how great it was to work close to home and you got free fries and ice cream.  LOL!  Next up we went to the Mossy Creek Pottery to find a couple soup bowls with handles like my sister Denise got.  



When I walked up to the door I spied these lovely and BIG fuchsias.  





We also drove down to the Historic Bay Front of Newport and we snapped a photo of their beautifully maintained US Coast Guard Station.  


The have one of their old rescue boats on display on the grounds.


We also stopped by the harbor so I could take a photo of the fishing boat fleet.


A beloved old restaurant here called Mo's - my parents lived down here for quite a while when my stepfather was a railroad engineer and my mom made friends with Mo.


Another great place for chowder and fish and chips is this place, I love all the buoys hanging on the front.  


This place is popular with the fishermen.


Our son, Travis, his wife Kristi and our grandsons Hayden and Caleb have come down and are having a mini-vacation, staying in a hotel for 3 nights.  Then on Sunday they will help us unhook the trailer and Travis will drive the Dodge dually pulling the trailer home for us.  What a good son!


We all drove to Depoe Bay last evening and ordered a take-out dinner of fish and chips and chowder and we ate in the car.  We tried out a rather new place, well, the building is old and used to be called the Spouting Horn and now new owners named it the Horn Public House.  I had the halibut fish and chips and it was exceptionally great!  Then we came back to our caravan and the kids checked into their hotel.  Below is a shot of the moon rising over Depoe Bay.


Our lovely sunset last night.


Back at the farm, my friend and house-sitter Shirley and her husband John went antiquing and she found a pair of egg cups for my jadeite collection!  


She also was playing around with my grandparents Hoosier cabinet and rearranging things a bit.  When I visited the old family farm in Oklahoma one time I saw this cabinet had been left in the old farmhouse which was deteriorating badly, so I got my sister to help me move it out of the house and asked a neighbor if they'd keep it in their barn until I could come back with my station-wagon to bring it home.  It was painted a rather hideous green and the inside was an awful acid yellow.  We were moved to action when the family friend informed us they wanted it out of their barn and had moved it to my uncle Pierce's barn.  We headed out from our house in in the morning of a Thursday and drove straight through to my aunt's house in Watonga, OK, and arrived at 9 pm on Friday.  We visited for a day or 2 and then loaded this in our Peugeot station-wagon, also the oak 5-legged table, 2 other cabinets and some other things, such as the egg basket of my grandmother's on this cabinet and made the return trip home.  I had this refinished by my friend Gary Law - and it's a wonderful oak.


I want to wish you all a fun Halloween if you celebrate it.  Here are a few of my decorations to get you in the spirit.





I found a little container of more little agates in a drawer here so I added them to my little shell bowl.  


Guess what I forgot to tell you?  It's my 10th Blog-aversary!!  I'm actually late to celebrate as my first post was September 11, 2010.  Click here to see it.  

The next post will be made from home.  It's been a wonderful 2 weeks!  And guess what?  The sun is back shining here!  :-)

((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

BooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo
 *H*A*P*P*Y* *H*A*L*L*O*W*E*E*N*!*
BooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo 

13 comments:

  1. Happy tenth blogaversary, that's an amazing achievement. I always love seeing a blog post from you popping up, there is always such a lovely warm, friendly, cosy feel to your writing. Gorgeous photos today from your trip, you've visited some lovely spots. Great to see the food places as well. Bertie got wet on his walk today and is curled up like Mocha. How lovely that Travis, Kristi and the boys have come down as well. I love your cabinet, well worth getting finished, it's beautiful. Enjoy the rest of the your holiday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow , that 2 weeks just flew by. I love that the VAN moved. for you.
    Okay what is with me?? I keep misreading posts. I read I Love the BOYS out by the front, instead of the buoys out in front!!!!
    IF you are home tomorrow Im going to ZOOM with anyone from blogland for halloween hello! Let me know if you want a zoom invite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogaversary Teresa. I have been reading your blog for a few months and I'm really enjoying it, this is my first comment. I don't know what took me so long. Your pictures are beautiful. You are so talented and all your crochet projects are lovely. Have a safe trip home. Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 10 blog years and halloween Teresa. Loved this trip and Mocha loving too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have been SO lucky with just one rainy day and I'm glad the big RV moved for you. I'm glad the kids are there with you for a few days. Those are some of our favorite places to eat too. We LoVe Mo's clam chowder and their tuna can't be beat. Fried oysters too. Well, everything is good.
    We always enjoy visiting the Coast Guard station and it is always beautifully neat and freshly painted. Your photo is beautiful.
    Travis and Kristi take such good care of you two. You are blessed.
    And Shirley found you some beautiful egg cups too. What a great couple of weeks you've had!
    Wishing you and Dayle a wonderful weekend. I hope it stays gorgeous for you all.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🎶❤️Happy 10th Blog-aversary, dear Teresa❤️🎶 You have me hooked! I enjoyed reading this post and when I got to the link to your first post I clicked on it and read till I got to September 11, 2011, where I read my first comment. It was lovely to enjoy the seasonal rhythm of your posts and see the faithful comments of Mere, and Betsy, and CN and Anne and Helen and.... I am so grateful I discovered your blog and and I treasure the growing friendship we have. Thank you for sharing your artistry so beautifully through your blog. Shirley is a fabulous faithful friend who knows and loves you well! The egg cups are a perfect addition to your jadeite collection!! Have a wonderful weekend! 💞🤗⛵️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always say why do holidays whizz by and Sr P always replies because you are having fun!! Fun does make the time fly by..doesn't it? I thoroughly enjoyed this post even though it is a little sad to see your holidays are coming to an end. You have a marvellous family and so very considerate that they have joined you for a few days and then will help you take the mobile home back. Those photos of the pottery on display drew me straight away...some really lovely pieces. I so like that touch of maritime fantasia used in the design of the mugs and teapot! I can certainly understand why you went back for that kitchen cabinet.....an heirloom to be treasured!! Your Halloween corner is looking very splendid too! Safe journey home! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely photos. I really enjoyed sharing your vacation with you.
    Happy Halloween! Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  9. teresa
    you are cracking me up with all the jadeite!!
    i grew up blocks away from the arctic circle in NE portland. i loved it! i think we used to get ice cream cones for a quarter, but that could just be wishful thinking!
    peace and love from PDX
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos, thoughts and observations. Happy Blogaversary. I couldn't resist clicking back. I found what I think was my first comment on 7th March 2011! Nine years! Love your blog! Lol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got some rain! What beautiful photos you got of the beach, sunset, boats, and more. Good to know you are getting your food to go - I hope all those great restaurants will make it through the pandemic.

    Wow, that pottery shop has some stunning pieces. And how fun to hear the history of that lovely Hoosier cabinet.

    Happy blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have enjoyed your trip :-)
    Congratulations on your Blogaversary!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ten years...well done :). Love the pottery and all your lovely scenic views. Safe travelling. B x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)