Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Old Jars, Bread and Soup

Do you have any old jars?  I've loved old things my entire life and living in a 114 year old house it's just always felt right to have old things around us.  Take for example the vintage glass Ball jars you see below.  I have a few small ones and put the quart jar in this photo to show the scale of my little ones.  


The jar that fascinates me is this one that I found while walking through an antique store.. no idea when.. but this darling is small and cute and has an old zinc lid with a coin slot in the top.  It must have been sold for kids to use as an incentive to save money.  


I found some green marbles.. yes.. don't say it.. and instantly thought how cute they'd look in my little jar.


I also have these cute little salt and pepper Ball jars.  


Here is the Hazel Atlas jar without the marbles inside.  It's just 3 1/2 inches tall.  Here's my question for you -- do you think this originally came with something inside, to be used after as a bank or do you think it came empty?  I cannot find anything about it's history on the internet.


I need to find some Buffalo Head nickels and Mercury dimes to put in it.. and some pennies of course.


Dayle made some of his famous bread for us!  I'll add the recipe at the bottom.  He made a loaf and a pan of rolls.  NUM!


It's a wonderful recipe that we/he has developed over the years, it has a mix of whole wheat and unbleached flour, canned milk, an egg yolk, honey and you can even put some sourdough starter in it, but it's not required.


Then yesterday he made some split pea soup in the InstantPot.  The recipe is in an IP cookbook.  It calls for dried split peas, ham hock and diced ham, broth, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf.  It is deeeliscious!


My sister Denise found this recipe and brought some soup to us when we were at the beach.  It was SO good that we have made it part of our recipe rotation.


I added several more rows on my blanket.. I'm enjoying the process and not stressing to keep up with the CAL.. it's all good.


So.. how is your week going?  All is well here.  
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

DAYLE'S HONEY WHEAT BREAD

 

1 pkg yeast

1 tsp sugar

½ cup warm water

1 can evaporated milk

¼ cup warm water

¼ cup melted butter

¼ cup honey

2 tsp. salt

1 ½ cup wheat flour

3 ½ cup bread flour (approx.)

1 egg, separated

1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional)



1.  In small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in ½ cup warm water.

2.  In mixer, combine milk, ¼ cup water, butter, honey, salt and wheat flour.  Add yeast mixture, egg yolk & 1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional).  

3.  Add bread flour until mixer can't mix it anymore then knead using more flour for 6-10 minutes to achieve satiny texture.

4.  Place dough in oiled bowl and let rise until doubled.

5.  Punch down and divide in two.  Roll into loaf shape, put in 2 bread pans, then brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Let rise until above pan about 1 1/2 inch.    Bake 23 minutes at 375 degrees.   



17 comments:

  1. Mmm, the soup and rolls look absolutely delicious. I do love old jars and yes, I've got one or two about the place. I also have some really old marbles. The children got me to buy some ordinary marbles and when the ebay seller sent them, he sent me the antique ones as a gift (I think I was a good repeat customer!) The blanket is looking lovely, I do so love the texture of crochet and how the colours lock together, so neat. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Teresa, I love all your "old things." The little jars are so sweet. My Pete is the cook in our house. He just loves it. He's never baked any bread though - maybe it's time I put a bug in his ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the jars. I have always loved canning jars too. I would guess that the jar originally was sold with something in it and made into a bank...but that's just a guess. The marbles look great inside.
    The bread and rolls look great and the soup sounds pretty much like the one I made in my instant pot. Dennis loved it but I'm not a fan of split pea.
    Your blanket is growing! The colors are so pretty together.
    Have a wonderful day my friend.
    Bessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you Teresa . for including that bread recipe . IT looks so so good. And I am a bread snob!!!! Wheeee. Your blanket is lovely , no need to add pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old Ball and Mason jars, too, Teresa. I have quite a collection as well as the Atlas ones. I've never seen the bank ones, though. The split pea soup and yummy bread look delish! Your Dayle sure know his way around the kitchen--lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old jars appeal to me as well. I saved old gallon pickle jars and used them for food storage. Even though I was not hungry when I read this post I thought the green orbs in the jar were hard candies; and I wanted to taste all the foods you showed! Thanks for the progress report on your pretty blanket, too.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your jars ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ I have some but not a neat as yours. Yum I could eat that bread right now. Just had a swim while still away. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the old jars and it made me smile that you found some marbles to put into one, particularly as they were green. The soup and bread rolls look so delicious. Thanks for sharing the bread recipe, it is nice to try a different recipe once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! That bread looks delish!!!
    I am always amazed at the things you find for your collection. I had no idea so many different things were made from that material.
    I can't believe how fast your blanket is growing. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Teresa,
    I found this article:
    https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/Hazel-Atlas.pdf
    And there is this:
    An unusual item was the ATLAS STRONG SHOULDER MASON in the form of a bank.
    These were put out by Hazel-Atlas and embossed with the HA mark on the base. The banks
    were made in fairly large numbers by Hazel-Atlas as a promotional item from at least 1938 to
    the 1940s. The banks/jars were topped with “small slotted zinc caps or slotted top-seal lids and
    screw bands” (Caniff 2007b:8).
    Is that what are you looking for? As I am not English-native :) I am not sure I understood well. But it seems to me as they give it as promotional item...
    Best regards from Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Sabina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has Dayle made bread in the crockpot? asking for a friend! lol may give his recipe. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! I love the look of your pea & ham soup! Well that's what we call it here. My dad used to make it when we were kids. He'd leave it bubbling on the fireplace all day. It was ridiculously delicious. I might have to make some when our winter starts up in June! Your Dayle is super talented in the kitchen :)
    I also have a slight jar fetish. I particularly love interestingly shaped jam jars. I have one that is kind of shaped like a pineapple. A few months ago I bought a pineapple, chopped the top of it and stuck in that jar filled with water. And it looked like a whole pineapple. The pineapple top then grew roots so is now planted in a pot with soil outside. Every now and then my fella sees my jars and suggests throwing some out in the recycling bin but I won't let him. I might need them someday!!
    Your Meadow Blanket is looking gorgeous. Big hugs! xoxox Louise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Teresa, you do collect such a beautifull things, I feast my eyes on it all the time! I am completely in love with your jar with marbles!! <3 And I do love your crochet blanket!! It is so colorfull! I do use the blanket I made last summer on top of my duvet, since the Netherlands are getting colder at the moment. The forecast promisses us buckets of snow and arctic temperatures! For the first time in decades we will have an extreme winter......I don't no if I have to be excited or afraid! But, since I work at kindergarden next week, it will be a lot of playing in the snow and make lovely crafts of snowman and ice skating! :-) Love, Janneke.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That soup looks delicious and I admire Dayle's bread. That is something I have tried to learn during my time at home this past Covid year. I have some old jars. I love them...and all old things! Thanks for linking up Teresa. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like old jars as well. I have bought a few older ones at antique stores. I half 1/2 gallon clear jar that my mom use to put pickles in I think,maybe. I put our mnms in them now. Maybe the small jar you wrote about could have had some jam in it. I've not made any homemade bread lately. I have in the past though. I do make rolls that are made with quik mix, kind of like Bisquick, but homemade. Useful for more than one recipe. We are good and it's been a warmer day than it has been lately. We went on a walk b4 dinner and light out, which was so good. We saw a man on a skate board with his dog pulling him while dog was running!! So funny to see!! I think we've seen that before as well. Have a good weekend and be happy!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the old jars. I have a few. I like the ones with glass lids and rubber seals and wire that slips over the top to seal it. Dayle's bread looks delicious. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love old things and have to say those jars are wonderful. I have many old spools. I have so many antiques, they don't seem to be the thing anymore but Ijust love them. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)