Monday, March 22, 2021

Knitting For a Change

I'm normally a crocheter but do know how to knit.  My friend Shirley put in a request that I make her a dish cloth.  I've knitted them and crocheted them and find the old fashioned knit one the most flexible and has the best texture.  I'm using my vintage faux tortoise shell needles which I love to knit with.


Shirley has black granite counters and rust colored walls, I drew the line at making a black dishcloth..lol.. so had to find rust cotton, which it turns out is not that easy to find.  I ordered a ball of yarn on the WEBS site listed as DK yarn.  When I arrived I was dismayed to see it was a tiny ball, the size of a small orange and the gauge is like crochet thread!  Back to the drawing board, I found some Blue Sky cotton in the right color.  When it arrived I had to roll it into a ball and then get started.


I snapped this Star Magnolia bud the other day, it won't be long until it's a cloud of white stars.  


A woman on one of my jadeite groups on Facebook put her collection up for sale and she had something I'd been hoping to find, the 8x8 baking pan made by Fire King in 2000 as an anniversary event.  So, arrangements were made for us to drive one hour north to Kelso, Washington to pick it and a few other things up.  


She had a St. Denis cup which I purchased as I did not have one.  :-)


Also new is this little hobnail candle cup.  


These are almost open.. they're taking their own sweet time.


I made our meal the other day, I toasted some "Everything" bagels which are covered in seeds, onion and garlic bits, and mashed a ripe avocado with a bit of mayo, and some garlic powder and Nunu's Cajun seasoning.  It was YUMMY!


Dayle made homemade macaroni and cheese with peas which was delish.


After a few rainy days, the sun is peeking out a bit now. I get my 2nd covid vaccine this week.  I am glad about that!  Have you gotten yours yet?  
((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


14 comments:

  1. I just knew you'd be getting more jadeite!! Hahaha. The pieces you have gotten are lovely Teresa. I do love Avocado toast and the macaroni looks tasty too. I saw clumps of snow drops on my walk today. Spring is here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa, the pictures of food that you posted look so good. I get my 2nd vaccine shot this Friday and I can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That baking pan is such a nice size. I use that size the most now that it's just the two of us...although I guess I will have to get used to cooking for more people again soon. :-)
    The little candle holder is so cute. I can't wait to get all of my little things out and organized and say hello them again. Does that sound silly?
    Dennis is getting second shot right now. Well, he should be about done with his 15 minute wait. I get mine next Monday. I need to wait 7 days for full effectiveness so I'll be able to go to church for EASTER for the first time in a year. It will also be my last time there as I'll leave the next day. I have such mixed emotions. We really did think the Northwest would be our forever home but so many people we love are in Omaha. I know once we're there and settled in all will be well and we'll be "home." It's just the transition that's hard. Thank you for your advice on the hotel. I'll do just that. It's not that anything is really valuable, except Chloe's ashes, but I would hate to have to replace everything and deal with broken windows too. It seems those things are happening more and more around the country.
    Take care my dear friend. Give Mocha kisses from me and tell Dayle hi from Dennis. We really wanted to make a trip over there before the move but it doesn't look like it's meant to be. Maybe next summer when he's retired. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those knitted dishcloths are the best. I love your Jadeite. I find that once I start collecting something, I can't stop. Maybe you are the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pretty dishcloth you are making for Shirley inspires me to want to knit another dishcloth, too! The jadeite candle cup is especially lovely lit, isn't it. I got an appointment at the convention center on the 28th to get my first vaccine dose...am less concerned about getting the vaccine than I am of the process of navigating to and from the center, standing in line and wearing a mask for a long time...don't want to faint like I did at the post office a few months ago! Hope you and yours have a happy first week of Spring! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing better than I hand knit dishcloth!
    I love avocado but I've learned the hard way never to order them for a pick up. My last two orders have been inedible. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get back in the store to pick out my own from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa your dish cloth gift is.going to be too pretty to use. I love your mac n peas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing nicer than a hand knit/crochet dish cloth, I love them. I loved the new additions to your collection, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Teresa, a woman's hand always find something to do! :-) My grandmother told me years ago and she was so right! Once you finished your blanket you started something new! I love the color of the dish cloth and the way you knit it diagonal. (Is that an english word?) Your new jadeite is só lovely! I would be anxious to use it! I haven't got my vaccin yet, I heard I will be invited in a few weeks. In the mean time I drive people to the vaccin site if they are unable to get there. So when it is my turn I know where to go. ;-) Numbers are rising in the Netherlands, so everything will be just the way it is now at Easter. Only the nightclock will be one hr. later. Stay safe, lots of love, Janneke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, that avocado bagel looks delicious! I could eat that filling with a spoon! I want to knit wash cloths too, I will have to look into that...
    My daffodils are ready to pop open also but I heard we might have some flurries coming later in the week. I might have to cut some to bring inside like you do.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo, for that last vaccination! I will join you in a couple of weeks. It's been a journey, and I am so thankful to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It is light, right?? Your knitting is beautiful, as are your flowers and cups, and happy views! Enjoy every bit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do have our two doses of the vaccine! I am so happy to hear you will have both soon. We had no issues, except a sore arm. Hopefully everyone will get theirs soon. I love the hobnail piece full of daffodils! I just picked a couple dozen for our dining room table. It's wonderful that Spring is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of Jadeite items. Looks nice though. I'm sure you enjoy it. I'm enjoying my daffodils outside. I've thought about bringing some indoors. Reading about mac and cheese I realized when I went shopping this afternoon that forgot to shred remaining bit of cheddar that was accidentally left on the counter. Yep it was there and very soft so I tossed it in the trash bag. I got interrupted at lunch plus other things to be done. Sigh! I do have another block of cheese though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No vaccine for us yet but getting my flu vax 1st April. Love the flavour of everything bagel. Oh my your collection is going to be fabulous now of jaidette. Love daffodils before they open

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)