Monday, March 15, 2021

Scenic Drive

Hello friends, thanks for stopping by.  This view is literally 5 minutes from our house, it's the Columbia River Gorge - Oregon on the right and Washington on the left.


We went on a drive with our grandsons on Saturday.  We drove west and took the I-205 Bridge over the river and drove to East Vancouver to the Sonic drive-in to treat the boys to early dinner and a milkshake.  It's an old-fashioned drive-in where you can sit in your car and order and a carhop brings it out to you.  A perfect situation for during a pandemic and the place has been doing a hopping business for the last year.  When we returned home I wasn't ready to give up the outing and went right past our farm to visit Portland Women's Forum Scenic Viewpoint.  That is Vista House you see.


Our two darling grandsons, 11 and 12 years old.  They are growing up fast!  Their birthdays are coming up and for 4 days they will both be 12.  Then we'll have a 12 and 13 year old.  Oh my.. that means we'll have a teenager around!


Then on to see Vista House.  Longtime readers will know that I have quite the connection with this historic building.  I helped form The Friends of Vista House non-profit corporation that has operated this building in cooperation with Oregon Parks & Recreation Department since 1982.  I was the first Executive Director for FOVH and had an office in the lower level of this building for 15 years.  Years of working with the staff I hired to organize volunteers to staff the information desk, having special events, filling and staffing a museum shop in the lower level and raising funds to restore the building.  I love to visit here and remember good times.


Then we finally returned home in time for the sunset.  It was good for all of us to get out and about for a change.  Yesterday we took them home and Kristi served us all a nutritious and heart healthy meal.  We took Mocha and she and Ozzie had fun playing with each other.  At one point Ozzie was sitting next to me on the sofa so Mocha jumped up on my lap to claim her mama, it was funny. 


After a lot of rain yesterday we have the sunshine back.  We watched a few movies, "Nomadland" and "Kodachrome".  Interesting but fairly depressing.  I think I need something more uplifting.. any suggestions?  Have a super week!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Teresa. You live in such a gorgeous part of the country. I remember going to A&W Rootbeer shops when I was a kid and they had car hops who would run out with your order and hook a tray on the window. Good times! So glad Travis continues to do well. Have you watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix? That is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven’t watched “Fisherman’s Friends” on Netflix, give it a try. It’s a great, uplifting movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched Enola Holmes on Netflix this weekend and really enjoyed it. We started watching the series, "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix, too. About an English crime family after WW I. Good, but violent. The movie, The Proposal is always good for a laugh. LOVE your views. You live in such a beautiful part of the country. Your grandsons are growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ate at that Sonic a few years ago. So fun to have the car hops serve you. The boys are getting so old! It's hard to believe. Teenagers! Oh my!
    The photos of the Gorge are beautiful as always. I wonder when I'll see it again? I literally just had a catch in my chest. You know how we feel about the coast and the Gorge. I'll miss it all and you friends the most.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, they are growing up fast aren't they. My youngest will be 13 in the summer, then it will be all teenagers here too. Glad you had such a lovely trip out together. Have you ever watched The Durrells? It's a lovely drama based on the time the author and zoologist Gerald Durrell spent on Corfu and it's absolutely charming - a gently amusing and feelgood programme. There are four series and I can highly recommend it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boys are getting so much older looking, well one as you say is almost a teen. Glad you had fun with them and got to go see some beautiful views. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful views. I so envy you being able to take out your grandsons, visit family for a meal.
    We have 3 teenage grandchildren now. Harry will soon be 16. Ella and Sam are 13, but 14 this year. Phoebe is the baby, she is 11, 12 in October but going on 20 lol. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can share your beautiful gorge anytime, Teresa! The Vista House and your connection is great. The grands are darling boys. Don't they grow up fast? I'm looking forward to spending time with our younger grands soon. The pandemic has been so hard in that respect, but I'm thankful we are well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely day! That is some view. I don't think I have ever been to a place where you can see that far in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely day with your grandsons! And such beautiful photos. Our oldest grandson turns 15 next week... they grow up so fast. We watched Nomadland last weekend, it was definitely different and depressing too. Right now we are enjoying Grantchester and awaiting a new season of All Creatures Great and Small. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous boys and grow so fast my oldest 2 will be 22 and 20 lol But of course youngest 1 and sibling 3 months away. Always love revisiting all your lovely spots xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the boys sure are growing up fast!

    Lovely, lovely photos. I was just looking at my photos today of our trip to the PNW in 2016 - I loved driving along the Columbia River, seeing the views and the long, long trains.

    It must have been amazing to work at the Vista House.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely outing, perfect scenery and wonderful company. Your grandsons are growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have fabulous views to share with us today! I am glad you had such a nice time with your grandsons. I am sure that they were so scared about their Dad and it is reassuring for all of you to see him recovering so well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Teresa, what a happy post again! I neither like depressing movies, nor singers. They give me the creeps! I do like your grandsons whatever! Teenager in the house! The humor of teenage boys is so funny!! I have a lot around from my brothers and sisters, so I can tell! I do not have my own family, but I enjoy the ones of my brothers and sisters! Vista House is very beautiful, and placed at a great site, with that vieuw! In the Netherlands we are in the middle of elections, tomorrow will be the last day. I don't expect any surprises, liberty will be big again. But of course I will go to give my vote! Use my right of freedom! Lots of love, Janneke.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The beautiful river views remind me of the style of painting of the Hudson River School artists...romantic landscape. So glad you had a good drive with the Grand boys and then a good visit with Travis and Kristi as well. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed your photos of the Columbia River Gorge and so glad you had a good time out with your grandsons. Our oldest granddaughter will be 13 in May!! Already???? We had a nice warm sunny day today. Phil and I went to Panera and ate indoors, 1st time in over a year I think. online order, drive through. It was so good to do that. Bought a cinnamon roll for dessert and ate it later at home. I drank chocolote rooibus tea with it...so delish!!! Still waiting on another arborist or 2 to look at our tree. Glad you are all have good days together!! Hugs! x======x :-}

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)