Friday, March 27, 2020

Bunnies, Flowers and Home Cooking

Rabbits multiply :-)  I made the big bunny years ago, it's an Alicia Paulson kit that she made.  I cut the felt and hand-stitched the bunny parts then stuffed and sewed them together.  I even bought a vintage Featherweight Singer sewing machine to sew the dress together.  Then knitted the little overdress and made the boots.  What a labor of love!  If you'd like to see my blog post of my step by step Maggie Maria bunny making, click HERE.


I made two new crocheted bunny Peeps yesterday, so now there are triplets.  LOL!


Here is my last one in my hand to show you the scale of them.  


Now, how would you like to go on a walk around the farm yard?  First I'll show you the newest unusual daffodil to bloom.  A light yellow frilly one.


Our Mahonia aka Oregon Grape is in bloom.  



When we got our new metal roofed gazebo on our deck, Dayle put the old one on his tractor front end loader and moved it out to the grassy area in the middle of our circular driveway.  I kind of like it there!  You can see our neighbor's lavender farm across the road.  His job has been lost due to the virus shutdowns.  I'd love to encourage you to consider buying some of their lavender soap - click Bates Lavender to visit their website and click on "Shop" at the top.  Thank you!!  Tell them I sent you.


Do you know what this bush is?  I can never remember what it is even after much googling.  

ETA:  This is a male Skimmia Japonica - thanks to reader Val E. from Wales!!  :-)



Our red Azalea is beginning to bloom!



I just love how dependable this big bush is.



Our Star Magnolia is looking lovely, it's right to the left of the red Azalea and right on the road.  I sure do love this, we planted this here on the farm.


Aren't the blooms wonderful?  And the center is this cute little striped orb.  :-)



Here it is on the side of our driveway with the garage back there.



There was a Quince bush outside our bedroom window when we moved in here.  It always has a few blooms, but not many as it doesn't get enough light there.  But it's fun to see them, never-the-less.


We're continuing to cook homemade meals.  This is a big pot of ham hock and beans.  My mom made this a LOT when I was growing up.  That right there says "mother" to me.  You use dried pinto beans, boil them with a ham hock, we added big chunks of extra ham, a diced carrot, a chopped onion, a clove of garlic, 2 bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste before serving.  Do you make this at your house?



We had ours with a buttered home made roll.  YUM!



I had to show you how beautiful Dayle's homemade honey wheat sourdough bread is when we had tuna sandwiches using it.  I must say it's nice to know we don't have to go to the store to buy bread.



So, how are you holding up?  I have to be honest and tell you my mental state is stressed.  I can't stop from worrying about our world, seeing hospitals using refrigerated semi trucks used to pile up the dead bodies is downright frightening.  They found the virus still alive in one of those cruise ships after the rooms have been evacuated for 14 days!  I was told that workers at the Portland Post Office were diagnosed with Covid-19.  So even our mail could be covered with it.  Anything coming into your safe home could be tainted.  I'm not trying to scare you,  but please stay home and try not to go out even to get supplies.  And if you do buy things, sterilize them when you get them home.  OK?  Stay safe and keep busy.  ((hugs)), Teresa

15 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa! Those bunnies! I posted a photo of mine on FB this morning and friends from church started sending me emails and texts asking if I could make them for their kids and grandkids for Easter! So, I think I started something. So far I have about 14 to make! I told them all sure, I would be glad to. It gives me something to do and I have lots of yarn scraps. I told them all that they would have to pick them up from the bottom of my stairs. I'll let them know when they're done and they can come get them. :-). I figure if I can spread a little happiness in these stressful days, I'm glad to do it and I can't stop making them anyway! Ha!
    I heard that about the cruise ship too, only I heard 17 days! Scary. Very, very scary. I made a menu plan this morning that gets us through the end of April with no restocking of supplies if we're very careful. In my mind Dennis going to work everyday is enough exposure for us. I'm glad that my Mom taught me to keep a well stocked pantry after she lived throught he Great Depression. I didn't have to join the hoards panic buying at the grocery store and just picked a few fresh things up early last week. A friend even told me how to freeze eggs so if that works we have plenty of those too.
    I haven't had beans and ham for years but it sure brought back memories to see yours. Now I wish I had a big hamhock to put in some beans. I do have beans, but just sliced ham. Dayles bread looks delicious too.

    I know how you feel with worry. It doesn't seem any country is actually recovering from this, including China. Wuhan is still basically locked down. It IS scary and the only thing that gives me any peace is my faith in the Lord. He is greater than all of this. After my experience when my heart stopped before I got my pacemaker and they told me I had died and been revived, I realized beyond all doubt that this world is NOT the end of things for us. Worst case? I die again and go to Heaven where there is no Covid-19, or cancer or heart disease, etc.
    I will be praying that you will have peace in your heart my dear friend. I am the queen of anxiety and worry and yet I am actually sleeping at night. I honestly can't believe it because I normally don't sleep well at all.
    Please tell Dayle hello for us.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bunnies. Could your mystery plant be choisier? Not sure of the spelling. I used to make ham and beans quite often when the kids were home. I feel like I want some now. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute little bunnies! Love their colours. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tavşanlar ve çiçkeler çok güzel. Bende evde ekmek yapmak istiyorum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to get a comment in Turkish! This is what it said:

      Rabbits and flowers are very beautiful. I want to make bread at home

      Delete
  5. Hi Theresa, Your shrub with clusters of small white blossoms looks rather like Skimmia Japonica (that's its UK name), a smallish evergreen shrub that also has a variety with pale pink blossoms, followed by red shiny berries.... Looks like Spring has really arrived in your garden.
    Val.E


    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your bunnies and peeps are adorable. These are strange and frightening times for sure. Stay well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing all your beautiful plants Teresa, thank you brighten my day for sure. Still in isolation in city pad a few days to go and scared of going shopping when we have to. We wipe any food deliveries we have with metho or disinfectant to be sure. Keep safe out there, Us lucky no sign of illness at all xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there. Love the bunnies out for Easter and thanks for the link to the making of them. Needless to say, love the Featherweight. Keep safe. CN xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Star Magnolia! Thank you for identifying the bush, Teresa. There is a Star Magnolia bush at a condo unit along the loop I walk sometimes in the complex. I meant to try to figure out online what it was and you helped me do that. In the midst of the bad news I am thanking the Lord that today the father-in-law of a friend's daughter is healing from the coronavirus in NY city. He had been on a ventilator. A part of the doctors' treatment plan included an anti-malaria med. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise words Teresa to stay home as much as you can this pandemic is a real worry. It as a joy to have a little tour of your yard and see the beautiful planting. I loved the rabbit, she is gorgeous. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when you made Miss Maggie. Cute little peeps. I am making chapati often and even some focaccia last week. Still haven't made regular bread but came across an easy recipe the other day so will definitely be giving it a try very soon. Thankful for all my hobbies that keep me quite busy. So many crafters and artists offering free patterns and online workshops so I've signed up for several. I don't mind staying home. Missing my long walks during our spring weather which will soon be over. We aren't supposed to be running around, only going out for essentials. My husband is working half days right now since business is so slow. A curfew is in place from 5 pm until 4 am. The uncertainty of it all is most unsettling. Having a wonderful garden and yard to wander about is a wonderful thing. I'm thankful for my two balconies and the plants I have there. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're able to stay home. We are as well for the most part. I'm making masks for us for when we do have to go grocery shopping. Fortunately, our store is open early - 0600-0700 Monday-Thursday for 60+ yoa only. Makes it much safer for us, especially when wearing masks. We're only going when we absolutely have to. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tour of your farm yard. It's looking splendid. I think Spring is my favourite season - so much hope for the future, and we all need that at the moment. Keep strong and safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Teresa, Your bunnies look adorable! I should crack out my Easter decorations, but I don't have as many gorgeous ones as you.
    Today I decided not to watch any news on TV. I sowed some lettuce and spinach seed and planted broccolini and viola seedlings. I then started writing up a blog post on some macrame I made over summer (I haven't hit 'publish' yet!) and caught up with 2 episodes of Outlander. And I feel great! I need a break from hearing all the bad news. I'm so sorry to hear of the devastating impact it is having in the US. We are making sure to disinfect everything that comes into the house including groceries and mail. I also worry alot about my 19 year old who works in the local supermarket. I have given him the strictest instructions to stick by the 1.5 metre rule, wear a face mask, gloves and wash his hands after EVERY single thing! Then he has to shower when he comes home.
    We will get through this. All of us together! Sending much love and hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)